Are you looking for a simple but delicious and flavorful snack in a tortilla? Then, the Jackfruit Fajitas is a good option for you. Filled with the goodness of jackfruit and the colors and flavors of vegetables, the jackfruit fajitas is a wholesome recipe that you can prepare within minutes. The key to getting this recipe right is to use the right type of jackfruit. Young, green and canned jackfruits in brine are good options for making this recipe.
Jackfruit is an excellent meat substitute. The crunchy texture of the fruit and the chewy nature makes it an excellent option for non-meat eaters. Jackfruit is also a rich source of Vitamin C, potassium, and other minerals, making it a healthy vegan substitute for various dishes. Before getting into this recipe, let us give you a brief introduction to jackfruits their benefits.
Jackfruits – What they are
Though they are native fruits of India and Morocco, jackfruits have become increasingly popular all over the world today, especially among vegans. They can be consumed in many forms. While many people consume the ripe and sweet yellow slices of the fruit, some also use the raw fruit for cooking various dishes. For fajitas, salads and other filling recipes, the young jackfruit, which comes in a canned form, is a good choice.
Jackfruits are tropical fruits, and they are known for their sharp and spiky skin on the outside. However, on the inside, their sweet and yellow flesh is quite a contrast, especially in the ripe fruits. When jackfruits start getting ripe, they start emanating an aroma, which you cannot miss definitely. Considered to be the largest tree fruits, jackfruits are quite heavy. You may be surprised to see even a small jackfruit weighing anywhere between 10 and 15 pounds!
Benefits of Jackfruit
Contains a lot of nutrients – It is a good decision to include jackfruits (raw or ripe) in your daily diet, because the fruit comes loaded with many nutrients. One cup of jackfruit slices (about 5 ounces) contains reasonable quantities of Vitamins A & C, antioxidants, magnesium, copper, fiber, proteins, manganese and more.
Can regulate blood sugar levels – Jackfruit has a very low glycemic index, which means, it helps keep blood sugar levels under control. In addition, studies have proved that the fibers and flavonoids present in jackfruit help reduce your risk against blood sugar spikes.
Reduces your risk against certain diseases – Jackfruits come loaded with Vitamin C, a nutrient responsible for boosting your overall immunity. Also, it contains some very powerful carotenoids and flavanones, which are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. These ingredients help to reduce your risk of various ailments like blood sugar spikes, irregular blood cholesterol levels, heart diseases, type 2 diabetes and more. In addition, the presence of fibers in the fruit also helps fight against constipation and irregular bowel movements.
Helps improve skin health – Vitamin C is also an important component for the overall health of your skin. Also, studies have proved that regular consumption of jackfruits can help to bring back the glow on your skin, and postpone aging symptoms like fine lines, wrinkles, sagging, etc.
Now, that you know that jackfruits can benefit you immensely, you are sure to be intrigued to try some interesting jackfruit recipes like this one.
Ingredients Needed for Vegan Jackfruit Fajitas
- Broth or Water (for cooking the jackfruit)
- Canned Jackfruit (the young, and green ones) – 1 2o-ounce can
- Red Onion – 1 (finely sliced)
- Bell Peppers – 1 or 2 (finely sliced)
Fajita seasoning using the following ingredients
- Chili Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic Powder, Cumin Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Smoked Paprika, oregano and liquid smoke – 1 teaspoon each
- Lime juice – Juice of one medium-sized lime
Process of making vegan jackfruit fajitas
- Drain the jackfruit completely so that there are no traces of brine left in it. Then, shred all the jackfruit pieces with your hand, so that it resembles the consistency of pulled pork or pulled chicken. Regardless of the size and texture of the jackfruit pieces, you can use them to prepare the fajitas.
- In a pan, place the shredded jackfruit pieces and cook them in broth or water (if using) to soften the fruits. If you are not using water or broth, you can cook jackfruit pieces with a tablespoon of avocado oil. Cook on a medium flame for about 10 minutes, until you see the jackfruit pieces slightly darkening.
- Now, you can add all the veggies that you have sliced finely to the jackfruit. Cook the contents for about 2 to 3 minutes until the veggies are cooked well. Ensure that the crispiness is maintained.
- Switch off the flame, and your stuffing is ready.
- Arrange the tortillas or taco shells and place this filling in the center. You can top it off with flavors of your choice. Some of the excellent toppings you can use for this dish are avocado slices, fresh cilantro, guacamole and any other vegan dip or vegan blue cheese of your choice.
- Vegan Jackfruit Fajitas are now ready.
Some points to note
- For a gluten-free recipe, you can use corn tortillas. However, the taste would remain the same.
- While buying jackfruit, always buy green, canned jackfruit soaked in brine. It would help if you refrained from buying jackfruit soaked in syrup or other flavors. Fresh jackfruit or dried jackfruit will not give you the pulled pork consistency. So, canned jackfruit in brine is the best option.
- When cooking the vegetables, you should maintain the crunchiness. This is because the real enjoyment of the dish is the crunchiness that you experience, when you take the first bite.
- When storing the leftovers, always store the filling and tortillas separately. Allowing the filling to stay inside the tortillas for a long time, will make the entire dish soggy.
- If you don’t want to eat tortillas, you can use this filling as any part of a vegan salad bowl.
- You can add more flavors to the filling by adding tomato sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce and more.