Vegan Puff pastry is as crispy as its name and very easy to prepare. When it comes to homemade puff pastry, the recipe turns out to be higher in quality than the one bought from the bakery. Moreover, a perfectly baked pastry can be utilized to make different puff pastry fillings and desserts. So, a cost-effective yet flaky golden delight at home is an amazing deal to grab on.
Can vegans eat puff pastry? If yes, then how to make vegan puff pastry? If you are looking for a vegan-style puff pastry recipe, then you’ve landed at the right place. Here, you’ll get a complete guide to make delicious and crispy vegan puff pastry.
The step-by-step instructions will walk you through the process on how to make vegan puff pastry – highly recommended if you’re a first-time cook!
- Frozen vegan butter 5 oz.
- All-purpose flour 2 cups
- Softened vegan butter 3 tbsp.
- salt ¾ tsp
- Water ½ cup
Instructions for vegan puff pastry
- Take frozen butter and cut it into small cubes. Refrigerate these frozen butter cubes in a plastic-wrapped dish.
- Take a neat and clean medium-sized bowl to prepare dough for vegan puff pastry. Put all-purpose flour and salt in the bowl and thoroughly mix the two ingredients. Then add softened vegan butter to the bowl, and mix everything.
- Slowly pour water into the bowl and knead the dough with your hands. Continue kneading until your bowl becomes clean. Wrap the perfectly kneaded dough and place it in the refrigerator.
- After 20 minutes, remove the dough from the refrigerator and lay it on a clean surface. Don’t forget to sprinkle some flour on the flat surface.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough. You can also sprinkle some flour on the rolling pin.
- Remove the vegan butter blocks from the freezer and rub them into the dough with your hands. Knead the solidified butter into the dough until chunks of butter are visible. The butter chunked dough will make your puff pastry super crispy.
- Roll the dough three times its length and fold the top third portion of the dough first, then the bottom third, forming a three-layered dough square. Roll it again. You can also use your hands to stretch the dough.
- Then plastic wrap the dough and place it in the refrigerator allowing it to rest for an hour.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and repeat the folding and rolling process twice.
- Again allow it to rest for 15 minutes in a refrigerator.
- The dough is then ready to get baked for 10 minutes at the temperature of 400°F.
- The key to successful puff pastry is cold dough and cold butter
- Keep the butter in a solid-state while preparing dough for puff pastry.
- Wipe away excess flour while folding the dough.
- To make extra flaky puff pastry, you can repeat the rolling and folding step of dough preparation.
- Avoid over-kneading your dough.
- Refrigerate the dough at times specified above to allow the gluten to relax.
- The door of the oven should not be opened while baking the pastry. If the temperature will be lower than required, the pastry will not puff up properly. High temperature is highly essential to puff up the pastry, so the oven should be preheated for about 20 minutes.
- The de-frosted pastry should be used immediately.
Nutrition facts of vegan puff pastry
- Calories: 310/65g
- Total Fat18g
- Saturated Fat 8.8g
- Total Carbohydrates28g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8g
- Sugars 1.4g
Can I store pastry dough?
Yes, you can store puff pastry dough in an airtight container for 2 days.
How to serve cold puff pastry?
Cold Puff pastry can be warmed for about 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 175° C. Avoid microwaving cold pastry since it can get soggy.
Can I freeze puff pastry dough?
Yes, the dough can be placed in a zip-lock bag and stored for two months in the freezer.
Why did my dough crack while rolling?
You might have rolled the cold dough. To avoid cracking, always thaw the frozen dough at least 60 minutes before use.
Is puff pastry bought from the bakery vegan-friendly or not?
The puff pastry bought from any supermarket may or may not be vegan-friendly. What you can do is verify from the ingredients mentioned on the label.
Can I use coconut and still get the same quality?
Yes, you may use coconut oil, however, you must solidify it first to achieve the same quality. When solidified coconut oil is mixed into the dough, it achieves the same crispiness as cold vegan butter.
Which vegan butter is best to prepare vegan puff pastry?
Earth Balance buttery sticks are a good choice to make this type of pastry.
Why is my pastry hard in texture?
A true puff pastry should have a light and airy texture. If your puff pastry got hard, it means you’ve added a lot of butter, or you over-worked on the dough. It might be possible that you didn’t add the required amount of liquid. These are some possible reasons behind the hard texture of your pastry.
What are suitable substitutes for egg wash?
Vegans can use any vegetable oil or olive as an egg wash substitute. Honey, cream or fruit glazes can also be used on the pastry.
How to maintain the crispiness of puff pastry for a longer period?
When the puff pastry is stored for some time, it may become soggy. The puff pastry is commonly known for its crisp so; a soggy puff pastry sounds so weird. To keep your pastry fresh and puffy, wait for the pastry to get cool at room temperature. Then cover the pastry in a plastic bag before storing it in an airtight container.
The golden and crispy vegan puff pastry sounds very delicious, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I have shared all the successful tips; try this recipe at home, and do let me know about your experience in the comment box. Have fun preparing this dish, and be sure to share it with your friends.