This post may contain affiliate links
If you are looking to prepare tasty and easy vegan snacks on a cold evening, vegan broccoli fritters are excellent choices. These fritters are great for Keto diets as well. If you plan to prepare a sumptuous lunch, you can consider serving these broccoli fritters as appetizers. Your guests are never going to have enough of these fritters.
Vegan Broccoli fritters are low-carb snacks that are gluten-free. Have you been looking for a simple but tasty and wholesome snack to satiate your hunger pangs? You have come to the right place, then. After reading this recipe, you can prepare delicious vegan broccoli fritters as and when you want. Enjoy these fritters with a hot cup of tea, to spend your evenings in pure bliss.
While broccoli comes loaded with many health benefits, the other ingredients used in this recipe (flaxseeds and chickpea) are also immensely nutritious. How much of these should you use to make perfect-tasting vegan broccoli fritters? We will give you the full list of ingredients and recipes towards the end.
Goodness of broccoli
- Broccoli is rich in Vitamin C, which means it can help boost your immunity phenomenally. It is also rich in other vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. So, broccoli can help protect your body against the oxidative stress caused by the free radicals.
- Sulforaphane, an antioxidant that broccoli produces during digestion, can lead to a series of health benefits. These include regulating blood sugar and cholesterol levels, prevention against chronic diseases, and correcting cell damage around the eyes.
- Broccoli also contains a large amount of Vitamin K, which helps in blood clotting. In addition, its anti-inflammatory properties protect you against injuries and help heal wounds faster than you ever imagined.
Benefits of flaxseeds
Flaxseeds have got a reasonable amount of protein, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. These amino acids help to control cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart diseases and certain cancers. Regular consumption of flax seeds can also regulate blood pressure levels.
Flaxseeds contain good amounts of soluble and non-soluble dietary fiber; therefore, you can be assured of the overall health of your gut, when you consume these regularly.
Benefits of chickpeas
Chickpeas are used in many forms in different cuisine styles. Chickpeas are good sources of essential carbohydrates, that provide energy to your body. They also aid in improving your digestion capacity and metabolism rate; therefore, you should consume chickpeas regularly if you want to reduce your weight.
The high protein and fiber content in chickpeas helps keep your appetite under control, by keeping you full for a long time. So, you can avoid binge eating and keep an eye on your weight.
Chickpeas have a low glycemic index (GI), which means they are great for keeping your blood sugar levels under control.
Now, let us see a tasty dish that combines all these three ingredients in their full glory. The result is not only a beautiful-looking tasty snack, but one that is loaded with nutrients as well.
How to make vegan broccoli fritters
Ingredients needed (for about 10 people)
- Broccoli florets – about 3.5 cups
- Medium-sized onion – ½ (chopped roughly)
- Cilantro – ¼ cup
- Garlic cloves – 2
- Chickpea Flour – ½ cup (Readymade, store-bought flour will do)
- Ground Flaxseeds – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin – ½ teaspoon (freshly ground)
- Cayenne Pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – needed for shallow frying the fritters (use any oil of your choice)
Process of making the vegan broccoli fritters
- Blend the broccoli florets, chopped onion, cilantro and garlic cloves in a food processor or blender. Blend them nicely without adding water, so that the final mixture has a crumbly texture.
- Once you get the mixture in this consistency, transfer these contents into a big bowl. In this broccoli mixture, it is now time to add the other dry ingredients. These include chickpea flour, ground flaxseeds, ground cumin, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Mix the contents very well and make a thick dough out of it.
- Light the stove and place a skillet on it. Pour a few drops of oil that you would need for shallow frying on the skillet.
- As the oil gets hot, make small patties from the dough. Roll the patties nicely with your hands to get even shapes on the sides.
- When the oil is hot, place the fritters (or patties) on the skillet and fry them on low flame for about 4 to 5 minutes. After 4 to 5 minutes, turn the fritters, so that they get cooked on the other side as well.
- Always ensure that you fry about 5 fritters at a time on the skillet. This will give enough room for the oil to seep in the fritters and cook the contents well. Don’t overcrowd the skillet with too many fritters at a time.
- You can also cover the skillet while cooking the fritters on one side, before flipping them over.
- Switch off the stove when the fritters have turned a nice golden brown shade on both sides.
- You can serve these with any vegan dressing or dips of your choice.
Some variations you can try
- Instead of shallow-frying the patties on a skillet, you can cook them using a microwave. For this, first prepare the baking tray. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line the baking tray with parchment paper. Ensure that you spray some cooking oil on the paper to allow for even cooking of the patties. Bake the patties for about 30 minutes for a healthier version of vegan broccoli fritters.
- You can steam the broccoli florets for about 5 minutes before adding them to the blender.
- Instead of chickpea flour, you can also use all-purpose flour.
- You can use about ½ a cup of plant milk as well when you are blending the contents to get soft and delicious vegan broccoli fritters.
- While brown flaxseeds are the best, you can also use golden flaxseeds if you like mild flavors in your dish.