This post may contain affiliate links
If you are looking for an exciting vegan snack that you can enjoy during a party with friends, you can try out the beautiful-looking, colorful vegan Mexican pinwheels. These can be made with simple ingredients that you can find easily. Moreover, they are packed with different flavors that make your mouth water instantly. In this article, let us see the simple step for preparing this recipe. We will also tell you some alterations you can try in this recipe, as per your creativity.
Some information about pinwheels that you should know before proceeding to the recipe
In this section, we will answer some questions that you may have about pinwheels. After reading this section, you can start making Mexican vegan pinwheels with ease and confidence.
Main Ingredients used in pinwheels
Cream cheese and sour cream are the two main ingredients of pinwheels—this helps keep the pinwheels soft and stable, when they are kept in the refrigerator. You can mix the cream & cheese mixture with other vegetables and herbs, as per your choice.
Preparing Mexican pinwheels in advance
It takes around 2 hours for the pinwheels to get set in the fridge. So you can plan accordingly for the same. However, you can also prepare them about 24 hours in advance. Therefore, you can make all the arrangements ready today for a party tomorrow morning, so that you have more time to enjoy yourself at the party. When preparing this dish in advance, you only have to remember to wrap the tortillas tightly, to avoid drying up the edges.
Using the right tortillas for the pinwheels
While making tortillas at home is the healthiest option, you can buy store-bought tortillas as well to save time. Ensure you buy flour tortillas as they become very soft and tasty when they get cooked.
Tips for holding pinwheels in place
If you want the vegan Mexican pinwheels to look and taste perfect, here are a few tips you can try:
- While filling the tortillas with the cream cheese & sour cream stuffing, you should apply uniformly on the edges, to allow the tortillas to stick and hold well in place.
- While rolling pinwheels and while wrapping them immediately with a cling film, you should ensure that you roll the pinwheels as tightly as possible for the contents to hold in place.
- The pinwheels have to be kept in the fridge for about 2 hours for the tortillas to get softened well, and for the contents to blend well.
- Keeping the width of the pinwheels slices at about ½ inch. Making the slices too thin or too thick may cause them to break easily.
Ingredients needed for making Vegan Mexican Pinwheels
These ingredients would be enough for 20 to 24 servings.
- Green Chili – 1
- Red Bell Peppers – ½
- Green Onions – 2
- Softened Cream Cheese – 1 pack of 8 ounce
- Sour Cream – 1 cup
- Cheddar Cheese – 1 cup ( shredded well)
- Cajun Seasoning – 1 teaspoon (made from a blend of paprika, salt, cayenne powder, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, oregano and pepper)
- Flour Tortillas – 8
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
Process of making Vegan Mexican Tortillas
- Ensure that you cut the chilies, red bell peppers and green onion into fine pieces.
- Mix the cream cheese and sour cream in a bowl and blend them well. You should add all the other ingredients to this mixture, which includes cheddar cheese, chilies, green onions, bell peppers, Cajun seasoning, and salt. Mix all the contents very well so that the flavors seep into the mixture very well. The stuffing is now ready.
- Place the flour tortilla on a board and spread about ½ a cup of this filling evenly on the tortilla. Apply generously close to the edges of the tortilla.
- Roll the tortilla very tightly and immediately put it inside a plastic wrap. Keep doing the same for the other tortillas.
- Tightly fold the plastic wraps and pinch them on the edges to keep them as tight as possible.
- Keep the tightly-rolled plastic wraps in the fridge for 2 hours at least to soften the tortillas. You can keep them in the refrigerator overnight as well, for softy, tasty and delicious pinwheels.
- When you take them out of the fridge, slice them into ½- inch slices and arrange them on a plate. Yummy tortillas are now ready.
Some variations you can try
- Instead of using only bell peppers and onions, you can add a burst of flavor to your pinwheels by adding avocadoes, refried beans, tomatoes, salsa, roasted corn, cilantro and more.
- If you don’t have green onions, you can replace them with red onions.
- While it is ideal to use the tortillas within a day of refrigeration, you can also use if after 2 to 3 days, as the pinwheels would be soft and tasty.
- Many people use a spoon to spread the filling on the tortillas; however, we recommend you use your hands for even spreading of the mixture. Similarly, while rolling the tortillas, also use your hands well to roll the contents very tightly. This will ensure that the contents stay inside the tortillas until you take them out of the fridge.
- To make the pinwheels colorful and attractive, you can also use yellow and green bell peppers as well. Baby spinach and black beans are other good ideas to consider for your filling.
- Instead of buying store-bought vegan cheese, you can also make your own vegan cheese at home using cashew nuts. This is a healthy and cost-effective option. You can make this cheese in large quantities and store them in a jar in the fridge to be used in any dish that you prepare.
- You can also use plant-based meat-like veggie ground meat to make the pinwheels tastier and healthier.
Regardless of the ingredients you use for your filling, the key to making tasty and authentic pinwheels is to roll them as tightly as possible. The best part of these vegan pinwheels is that you can make many ingredients right in your home from scratch. All of these make these pinwheels a healthy appetizer that you can try for a weekend party with your loved ones.