This post may contain affiliate links
This is the best sweet potato-infused chocolate cake recipe that includes out-of-this-world chocolate buttercream frosting. It’s also a delectable sweet potato chocolate cake recipe that can be served with or without a chocolate topping as a dessert.
This chocolate cake recipe is quite similar to a traditional chocolate cake recipe. The only distinction between this sweet potato vegan cake recipe and a traditional chocolate cake recipe is the absence of dairy.
We’re using dairy substitutes instead of the traditional dairy used in cake recipes. Sweet potatoes serve as a binder instead of eggs in this recipe, which is often utilized. In addition, we’re using vegan milk instead of conventional milk in this recipe.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake
This Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake is fudgy, rich, chocolaty, and surprisingly simple to create.
This recipe is for everyone curious about what can be created using sweet potatoes. If you have any leftover cooked sweet potatoes, this is a fantastic way to utilize them. If your sweet potatoes haven’t been cooked, I’ll show you how to make them.
Sweet potatoes give this meal structure and taste. The potatoes lend sweetness to the dish while also serving as a fat substitute (oil).
Because we’re using chocolate, there won’t be any orange color from the potatoes in your cake.
You might also like this recipe: Authentic Turkish Delight Recipe from Narnia.
What is Special about this Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake?
This one is unique since it is vegan, grain-free, and oil-free. Or, it’s unique because it contains nutrient-dense sweet potatoes.
However, I believe it is unique because the total is considerably more than the sum of its parts. And it’s unique because of how people embrace it and use it to commemorate special family occasions!
When I first made this dish, I was rather fond of it. My family was as well. But I had no idea how everyone would react to it. It’s not your typical chocolate cake loaded with sugar and fat.
This sweet potato cake disappeared so fast that I had to make another one the next day! It was that good!
What are some benefits of making this cake?
- Sneak in more vegetables! Have trouble persuading your children to eat their vegetables? Even the pickiest diner will be fooled by the exquisite flavor of this vegan cake!
- Use basic ingredients. This vegan chocolate cake with sweet potatoes is made using simple materials that can be found at any grocery shop.
How to make a moist vegan cake?
Sweet potato helps to keep this vegan chocolate fudge cake moist. It takes the place of dairy components such as yogurt or sour cream, frequently used to moisten chocolate desserts.
The sweet potato also aids in the binding of the cake, allowing you to use less flour.
How to Puree the Sweet Potato
I noted before that buying sweet potato puree in a can is the simplest method to obtain it. You can, however, do it yourself.
1: Choose and purchase the sweet potato
Sweet potatoes are accessible all year, although the growing season is at its optimum in the fall. Look for solid sweet potatoes (or yams) with no cracks or mushy patches. A medium sweet potato provides around five ounces of purée.
2: Clean and prepare the sweet potato
Rinse the sweet potato under cold running water. To eliminate grime, scrub the skin with a small vegetable brush. Rinse one more, then peel using a vegetable peeler. Cut into tiny cubes.
3: Cook the Sweet Potato
In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Reduce the heat (when the bubbles soften) and sauté the sweet potato pieces until tender (about 15 minutes). To stop the cooking process, drain sweet potatoes and rinse with cold water for three minutes.
4: Puree the Sweet Potato
You can use a fork to puree the Sweet potato, but also, In a food processor or blender, puree cooked sweet potato until smooth. As needed, add water to get the desired consistency.
How to make Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake
Step 1: Start by heating the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and then cooking the sweet potatoes in boiling water in a pan for about 15 minutes or until tender.
Step 2: Remove the peel from the cooked sweet potatoes and purée them in a blender or simply use a fork until they are entirely smooth.
Step 3: In a large mixing bowl, mash together the sweet potato purée, plant-based milk, and maple syrup. Add the vegan chocolate chips, pecans, baking soda, salt, and all-purpose flour (For gluten-free use oat flour.)
Step 4: Everything should be combined and mixed nicely until a dough forms.
Step 5: Bake the dough in a prepared cake pan for around 35 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the center comes out clean and the top has slightly hardened.
Step 6: The sweet potato chocolate cake should be taken out of the oven and allowed to cool fully. This is because the buttercream frosting will melt if the cake has not fully chilled.
Make The Buttercream Frosting
Step 1: Beat the butter for about two minutes in a stand mixer bowl with with a paddle attachment or in a large mixing basin using an electric hand mixer.
Step 2: About a cup of powdered sugar should be added at a time, and the mixture should be mixed in, starting at low speed and slowly increasing to medium speed.
Step 3: When everything is thoroughly incorporated, add 4 tablespoons of plant-based milk and the vanilla powder, and beat on medium speed for 3–4 minutes.
One tablespoon of more milk can be added if the frosting appears too thick. Add additional powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until the frosting is the right consistency if it is too thin and runny.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake Recipe
Searching for a way to fulfill your sweet tooth? Look no further than this extraordinarily delicious and luscious sweet potato chocolate cake. It’s a nutritious vegan sweet potato cake that’s simple to make and perfect for any occasion!
For the Cake
- 2 cups of sweet potato, cooked and peeled
- 1 cup of Maple syrup
- 2 tsp of vanilla powder
- 1 1/2 cup of All-purpose flour; use oat flour for Gluten-Free
- ¼ cup of plant-based milk
- 3/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- ¼ cup of Pecans
For the Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup of vegan butter, softened
- 2-3 cups of powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp of non-dairy milk (add more if it is too thick)
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder
- 1/2 cup of sifted cocoa powder
For the cake:
- Set the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take 2 medium size sweet potatoes and boil them for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are soft to the fork. The skin should be taken off and smooth pureed in a food processor, or just use a fork.
- Combine sweet potato puree, maple syrup, and plant-based milk in a big bowl. Add baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, pecans, and all-purpose flour (Use oat flour for gluten-free cake). Mix everything until dough forms.
- Bake the dough for around 35 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the center comes out clean, and the top slightly stiffens. Place the dough in a prepared bread loaf pan. Spread buttercream frosting and top with some fruit if you like!
For the Buttercream Frosting
- Beat the butter for about two minutes in a stand mixer bowl with a paddle attachment or in a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer.
- A cup at a time, gradually add the powdered sugar and blend on low speed before rising to medium speed to include all the powdered sugar.
- Add four tablespoons of milk, cocoa powder, and vanilla powder when everything is well incorporated, and beat on medium speed for 3–4 minutes.
- One tablespoon of more milk may be added if the frosting seems too thick. Add additional powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until the frosting is the right consistency if it is too thin and runny.
- Spread it on your sweet potato chocolate cake or another cake you like.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake Video Recipe
Share the image below to your Pinterest board if you like this Sweet potato chocolate cake!