This post may contain affiliate links
Here I’ve got an amazing recipe to fill your soul with happiness and goodness! The vegan Swiss Roll recipe, a tempting delight of all times. It’s so fluffy and spongy, just tastes like heaven on the earth. The combination of chocolate with a filling of light-textured whipped cream truly makes your mouth water.
If you’ve ever wondered making a Swiss roll without eggs is troublesome, I can assure you that it’s actually not that hard.
Just follow this recipe, and I’ll show you how easy it is to make the best vegan Swiss Rolls.
- All-purpose flour: ½ cup
- Cocoa powder: 3 TBSP
- Baking powder: ½ TSP
- Baking soda: ¼ TSP
- Castor sugar: ½ cup
- Plant-based milk: ½ cup
- Oil: ¼ cup
- Vanilla essence: ½ TSP
- Lemon juice: ½ TSP
- Whipping cream: ¾ cup
- Condensed milk: 3 TBSP
- Sugar: 1 TBSP
- Hot water: 2 TBSP
Vegan Swiss Roll Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Start with preparing the baking tray. Brush your tray with some vegan butter and line a parchment paper over it. For more convenience, it is better to apply some butter on the parchment paper too.
- Take a well-kept bowl, add in strained all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and mix all ingredients well.
- Now add in a half cup of powdered sugar and mix it well.
- Next, add in milk, and give it a nice mix.
Note: Milk must be added in small batches.
- Now add the recommended amount of oil and vanilla essence to the bowl. Give it a mix.
- In the end, add in a half teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix well.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until the skewer inserted in comes out clean and dry.
- Meanwhile, the cake is getting prepared, move on to making cream filling.
Cream Filling Preparation
- To a bowl of a stand mixer, add in whipped cream and condensed milk, and blend it well.
- Mix until stiff peaks are formed.
- Refrigerate the cream filling for 5 minutes while taking the cake sheet out of the oven.
Filling and Rolling
- Take the cake out of the baking tray and transfer it to a clean parchment paper.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes before applying the frosting.
- Once the cake gets cooled, apply sugar syrup to it with the help of a brush.
- Then apply cream filling to the cake. Spread the filling in a gradual height like a slope. There must be more cream at the starting point of the sheet, which would support the cake rolling process with minimal cracks.
- Gently roll up the starting point. Wrap the roll as tight as you can.
- Fasten the tapes to hold the roll in shape.
- Film the cake tightly in cling wrap once it has been satisfactorily filled and rolled. This aids in the formation of the cake’s shape while it rests in the fridge.
- Then place the cake in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Once set, you can slice it to enjoy these delectable vegan Swiss rolls.
- Don’t forget to sieve the dry ingredients.
- You must add in the sifted dry ingredients in a few batches, alternate with the milk mixture.
- You can also substitute lemon juice with white vinegar. Dairy-free milk that has been activated with lemon juice or white vinegar produces a lighter crumb when combined with baking soda.
- Do not over-bake the cake as a dry cake is more prone to breakage.
- Perform the cake rolling step quickly to avoid cracking the cake.
- Roll the baking sheet when it is soft; try not to rest it for too long.
- If you try to cut this cake with a sharp knife, the cream may leak out the sides. Make sure your knife is heated and sharpened before cutting through the cake layers.
- If you want to make eggless vanilla Swiss rolls, you can replace the cocoa powder with some more flour or cornstarch.
- You can also make some variations to the cream filling according to your choice.
Is it fine to store Swiss rolls in the refrigerator?
The Swiss roll cake can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. Refrigerate the Swiss roll after wrapping it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Is it possible to freeze this cake?
The prepared cake roll with filling can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before slicing and serving.
Why does my Swiss roll have a rubbery texture?
If the batter is over-mixed, the cake will turn rubbery. Overmixing the batter promotes the production of gluten, which increases the gumminess of the cake. Over-mixing can also deflate the air bubbles formed during the meringue whipping process, resulting in a deflated cake.
What is the best way to roll a Swiss roll cake without cracking it?
To ensure that the Swiss roll does not crack during assembly, make sure to roll the cake sheet in a warm state. When the cake is warm, it has more flexibility and may be easily sculpted into the shape you want. That way, when it’s time to top it with cream, it’ll be much easier to shape.
Why did my Swiss roll break down?
There are a few reasons why your Swiss rolls might have come apart. The cake was under-baked, resulting in a moist, difficult-to-handle cake. It’s possible that the whipped cream has too much liquid and will simply come apart. You might have over-baked the cake. When a cake is overbaked, it becomes drier and more prone to cracks. The Swiss roll can fall apart if there is a crack in it.
- Calories per serving: 225Kcal
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Proteins: 3g
- Fats: 6g
This recipe will give you a super-soft texture, easy to roll, and minimal cracks. Don’t be discouraged if you did not successfully roll it up, as it takes some practice.
I hope you are inspired to give it a try to enjoy this amazing dessert.