Are you looking for something healthy and delicious? You got it right. It’s a vegan olive oil cake. The name itself sounds so healthy, doesn’t it? And why not? It is vegan, it has olive oil, and it’s a freaking cake!
Bet many haven’t tried one yet. Trust me. It is one of the moistest and decadent cakes you’ll ever taste. So crumbly and tasty that it’ll just melt in your mouth.
You can bake this simple yet sophisticated cake any time of the year and on any occasion. This cake is totally underestimated despite its savory and delicate taste on every bite. Read along to know more about vegan olive oil cake. You’ll keep on wanting to bake and devour every bite of it.
First, let us look into some of the benefits of Olive Oil.
Do you know olive oil is the extracted or squeezed oil from olives? Vegetable oils are highly processed, whereas olive oil tends to be lesser processed. As a matter of fact, the lesser the processing, the more it is good for health. And needless to say, how many health benefits olive oil possess. Here are some of them:
- Olive oil has monounsaturated fat or oleic acid, a healthy fat that helps in inflammation.
- Olive oil is rich in antioxidants.
- It reduces heart-related diseases.
- It lowers the risk of stroke and cancer.
- Olive oil is suitable for people with Alzheimer’s disease.
These are just a few of the health benefits of olive oil. And once you combine it with a cake, it’s like double the gain for us. Let us learn how to make a Vegan olive oil cake without any delay!
What are the ingredients and types of equipment needed?
- 1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour,
- 1 cup of sugar,
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder,
- ¼ of salt,
- ½ cup of olive oil,
- 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract,
- ¼ baking soda,
- ½ a cup of applesauce,
- Toppings (Fruits of your choice),
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice,
- Lemon zest,
- Powdered sugar or icing sugar,
Types of equipment
- Bowls for mixing dry and wet ingredients
- Measuring spoons
- Baking pan/tin
- Butter paper
- Oven gloves
Preparation and cooking of vegan olive oil cake
- Preheat the oven – at 180◦C or 350◦F.
- For the dry ingredients, thoroughly add the ingredients together in a large bowl and leave aside. That includes the salt, baking soda, flour, and baking powder.
- For the wet ingredients, add the applesauce, olive oil, and sugar to a large bowl and whisk them for a few minutes.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and whisk them for a minute.
- Now you can slowly add the dry mixture onto the wet mix. This time use a spatula and make sure you don’t over mix it. Do not make a mess!
- Let the batter rest for a minute or two at the maximum.
- Grease your baking pan with olive oil and line it with butter paper.
- Next, scoop the batter into the greased pan. Make sure to tap your cake tin to remove any air bubbles.
- Finally, put the pan inside the oven and bake it for 30-40 minutes, or you can adjust the timing depending on your oven. Once it’s done, use a toothpick and insert it till halfway through the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, that means your cake is made. If not, bake it for a few more minutes and repeat the same technique. Remember, a properly cooked cake will look golden at the top.
- After it’s done, take out the cake from the oven using your gloves. Please leave it to cool down fully before topping it.
- Once cooled down, place it on a clean plate and dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar or icing sugar until it looks like snowfall.
- Now comes the best part, though this is optional. Top your snow-dusted cake with your favorite choice of fruits. Fruits like orange, lemon and blueberry compliment the cake like a good-complimentary card!
- You can even drizzle some olive oil on top of the cake, the old classic way and enjoy it.
Pin the image below if you like this Vegan Olive Cake Recipe!
Tips to remember
- Of course, you can always use regular olive oil, but to better enhance the taste of the cake, use extra virgin olive oil. You can differentiate the taste or preference of using regular olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.
- You can even use flax eggs and non-dairy milk. Just make sure you don’t use the regular ones since this cake is all about veganism.
- Use correct measurements, or else the cake won’t turn out perfect as it’s supposed to.
- You can even add bananas to make it extra moist and of perfect consistency.
Why vegan olive oil cake?
No doubt, this dessert is one of the richest yet light and well-balanced desserts. There is no such thing as oily in this cake. Taste it, see for yourself, and you will be amazed. You see, not many like overly sweet cakes. But this very cake has the perfect sugar content, and it has a zesty and refreshing taste at the same time.
Perfect for a morning breakfast, a snack and dessert, you can have a slice of this flavorful cake anytime you want. And the best part? It’s that easy to make! Folks, you don’t need too many ingredients to make this cake. You’ll find almost all the ingredients needed in your kitchen pantry. So what are you waiting for!
Guys, olive oil on cakes is not weird! You have got to try this recipe. It is unlike any other cakes you have ever tasted. In fact, it is better than most cakes. If you still don’t believe me, go give this recipe a try. You will definitely love it.