Here is the classic Italian Vegan Focaccia Recipe. It’s very simple to make. The texture of focaccia is extremely amazing. On the inside, it’s incredibly soft, and on the exterior, it’s super crispy. You are not required to wait for a long period of time. This is a simple dish to prepare. When the vegan focaccia bread comes out of the oven, it smells so amazing.
The irresistible aroma of perfectly seasoned rosemary garlic focaccias draws your friends and family in for a delicious treat. The focaccia bread can be utilized to make delicious sandwiches or can be enjoyed plain as a tea-time snack. To enjoy this vegan Italian cuisine at home, let’s jump-start the recipe.
Pin the image below if you like this vegan focaccia recipe!
For vegan focaccia dough preparation,
- Warm water 1 ½ cups
- Honey 1 tsp
- Instant yeast 7g
- All-purpose flour 470g
- Salt 1 ½ tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil 1 tbsp.
For focaccia topping,
- Water 2 tbsp.
- Extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp.
- Salt ½ tsp
- Rosemary 1 ½ tsp
- Garlic cloves 2
- The Vegan Focaccia recipe will begin with warm water. The temperature of the water should be around 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- First of all, add honey to the water and mix well. You can use maple syrup or cane sugar as a substitute if you like.
- After that, add 1 package of instant yeast to the mix. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 to 7 minutes after adding the yeast, or until a frothy layer forms on top.
- Then add the flour and salt to a clean, well-kept bowl.
- Fill the flour in the center with the yeast mixture.
- Stir the mixture with the spatula until all of the liquid has been absorbed by the flour and a sticky mass of dough is formed.
- Next, add extra-virgin olive oil and use your hands to mix it until all the oil gets absorbed into the dough.
- Now cover the top with a plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature until it is visibly puffed up.
- While the dough is resting in the microwave, prepare the topping. In a small mixing bowl, combine water, olive oil, a pinch of salt, and finely chopped rosemary. Finley mince and add 2 large garlic cloves. Thoroughly mix the topping until it is well incorporated.
- Now take out the dough from the microwave. You will see that the dough is visibly puffed up and double in size.
- To get focaccia texture, you will need to develop gluten strands by stretching and folding the dough.
- After stretching once, plastic-wrap the bowl and allow the dough to rise for another 30 minutes. Repeat this stretching and folding technique thrice with the rest of 30 minutes in between.
- After the fourth stretch and fold, take a baking pan and oil it. Add ¼ cup of olive oil to the baking pan.
- Now transfer the dough to the baking pan and toss it to cover with the oil.
- The dough should then be stretched to fit the pan. After you’ve finished stretching the dough, cover it and leave it aside for about 45 minutes.
- Press your fingers into the dough to make characteristic focaccia dimples.
- To apply the topping, whisk all ingredients together and sprinkle it over the focaccias.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and bake the dough for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool the focaccia for 5 minutes and then slice it to enjoy a perfect rosemary garlic-infused vegan focaccia bread.
- Weigh all of the ingredients precisely. If you don’t have a kitchen scale, use a measuring cup instead. Scrape off the excess flour and place it in a cup. Add 4 cups of flour to the mix.
- If you wish to speed up the resting time of plastic-wrapped dough, try using the microwave. Turn on the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up. Turn it off and set the dough in it, allowing it to rise.
- You can also prepare a simple topping with just 3 ingredients: water, olive oil, and salt.
- If your hands get stick to the dough, dip the hands in cold water before working on the dough.
- Be careful when stretching and folding the gluten strands; else, you’ll tear them.
- If stretching the dough in the baking pan in the first round proves problematic, cover it with plastic wrap and set it aside for 15 minutes. It will be easier to stretch the dough if you allow it to rest. Make sure the dough is stretched gently but not torn.
- Remove the focaccia bread from the baking pan immediately it has finished baking so that the bottom does not become steamy; otherwise, the crispy crust will be lost.
How to store focaccia bread?
You can store the leftover slices of focaccia in a plastic wrap for up to days. You can also freeze your bread for about 1 month.
How to defrost focaccia bread?
If your bread is frozen, thaw it first. Then drizzle some drops of water on the bread. Bake it for about 7 to 8 minutes at 375 degrees Celsius. The sooner you freeze your bread after baking, the fresh it will be after defrosting.
How to store the focaccia bread dough in the refrigerator?
The dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. For this, you need to make the dough into a ball shape and cover it with plastic wrap. Then place the dough in the refrigerator. Take out 30 to 60 minutes before use, let it rest, shape it and use it to make perfect focaccia.
- Calories: 220kcal
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Sugar: 6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 209mg
- Potassium: 108mg
The vegan focaccia recipe is easy to make. All you have to do is follow all the directions vigilantly. Make sure to accurately weigh all the ingredients because the accurate measurement is a key to baking the best vegan focaccia bread.
Like, comment, and share with others!