Hummingbird cake is not only unique by its name but also by its taste. It’s one of the blessings for vegans who want to satisfy their sweet tooth. With a perfect blend of pineapple, banana, spices, and nuts, Vegan Hummingbird Cake is the best cake.
The fruits added to the cake make it very nutritious as well as healthy. A cheese frosting at the top adds an amazing texture and fluffiness to the cake.
So, if you want to curb your cravings for something sweet, an amazingly tempting yet easy-to-make recipe is here.
· 2 ¼ cups chopped pecans
· 6 tbsp. ground flaxseed
· 4 medium bananas
· 3 ¼ cups All-purpose flour
· 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
· 1 tsp nutmeg
· 1½ cups brown sugar
· ½ cup granulated white or cane sugar
· 1 tbsp. baking powder
· 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
· ¾ tsp sea salt
· 1 cup crushed pineapple in juice
· ⅔ cup coconut cream
· 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
· 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon fine salt
· ½ cup (120 ml) unsweetened dairy-free milk
· ¼ cup (60 ml) pineapple juice
· ¾ cup (180 ml) oil
Frosting and topping
· 1 cup or 8 oz. cream cheese, nearly at room temperature
· ½ cup (110 grams) unsalted vegan butter, nearly at room temperature
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 4-5 cups icing sugar
· ⅛ teaspoon fine salt
Instructions For Cake And Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Then toast the pecans for about 7-8 minutes. When pecans are toasted in the oven, they release a lot of their natural nutty aroma and crunchy texture. Thus, adding a superb flavor to the cake.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (not pecans yet). Dry ingredients include sugars and spices
- Then peel the bananas, place them in a medium-sized mixing dish, and mash them until they are smooth. It is not necessary to crush all of the bananas, but they should have a gel-like consistency.
- Mix all the wet ingredients with bananas. Wet Ingredients include melted vegan butter, crushed pineapple, apple cider vinegar, milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla essence.
- Then mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Add half of the amount of pecans at this stage and reserve the remaining to create a nutty topping.
- Using a spatula, evenly distribute the batter between the prepared cake pans. Bake them for about 30-40 minutes. Insert the toothpick after 30 minutes; if it comes out clean, it means you’ve nailed your task.
- Take out pans from the oven and let them cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add cream cheese frosting to the bottom layer of the cake. Then put a second layer of cake with frosting on the top
- Garnish with pecans that have been set aside, fresh or dried fruit, edible flowers, or whatever else you choose. Enjoy!
- Take a bowl and add cream cheese and butter to it.
- Whip both ingredients with the help of an electric hand mixer until a smooth and fluffy mixture is obtained.
- Blend in the powdered sugar and vanilla until the shade turns whiter, and the frosting is frothy. To stiffen the frosting, freeze it in 3-minute intervals, stirring in between until it reaches a little firm consistency.
Some Useful Tips
- Carefully follow the recipe without making any mistake in weighing and measurements
- Properly sieve the powdered sugar to end up with a smooth frosting
- The bananas used in the recipe must be ripe to give it a perfectly sweet flavor.
- Avoid the mixing of the ingredients.
- Put frosting on the cake once the cake gets cool; otherwise, the frosting will melt.
- The bottom and sides of the pan should be well-greased.
- Vegan hummingbird cakes can be made one day before any event. Cling wrap the cakes and put frosting in airtight containers to get them stored in the fridge. Take them out of the fridge 30 minutes before use.
Serving: 1of 14 slices
How to store the cake?
The leftover cake can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 to 6 days. The cake must be stored in an airtight container to prevent it from drying.
Can I store the cake at room temperature?
Yes! It can be stored at room temperature for only two days. But we will not recommend you to store it at room temperature. Try to finish it within 24 hours.
Can I make it Gluten-free?
Yes, all you have to do is replace all-purpose flour with good-quality gluten-free flour.
Why does my hummingbird cake have a high density?
Cold ingredients make your cake hard. So, use ingredients stored at room temperature to make your cake less dense and fluffier.
Can Hummingbird cake be kept in the freezer?
Yes, this can be stored in the freezer in an airtight container. Before eating, heat the cake in the microwave and enjoy it. It would be much better if you cut the cake in slices before freezing it.
How to ripe banana fast for this recipe?
Ripped bananas are the essential ingredient of vegan hummingbird cake. If you don’t have a ripped banana, no need to worry. You can simply ripe your bananas by place them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and repeating the process until they become soft.
What is the flavor of vegan hummingbird cake?
The flavor of the cake is a bit spicy and related to pineapple and banana.
Baking cakes is such an artistic activity that will result in an incredible dish that will gratify your taste buds. It is not difficult to make cakes. To make the best vegan hummingbird cake, simply follow the instructions. When taking measurements, pay close attention. A wonderfully fluffy, nutty, and creamy cake will result from precise measurements. Never make changes by yourself because minor changes can result in major blunders.
If you like the recipe, share your experience in the comment box. We would love to hear from you.