This post may contain affiliate links
Vegan shredded chicken is my favorite recipe for a couple of reasons. One, it doesn’t use eggs. This can be an issue with other recipes. Two,it is also a great low-carb recipe. In fact, it is only 11g net carbs per serving! Check nutritional facts at the end of the blog.
Preparation Time: 45 min
Cooking Time: 1 hr 30 min
Resting Time: 12 hrs 30 min
Total Time: 14 hrs 45 min
- All-purpose flour – 1 kg
- Water – 700 ml
- Maple Syrup – 1 tsp
- Smoked Paprika – 2 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tbsp
- Salt- 2 tsp
- Dried Rosemary – 1 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 2 tsp
- All-purpose flour – 3 tbsp
- Vegetable Stock Hot – 800 ml
- Onions halved – 2 (optional)
- Carrots halved – 2 (optional)
- Garlic Clove – 1 (Optional)
- Take a bowl and add flour and water. Mix and knead the dough.
- Put this dough into a large-sized bowl and cover it with cold water. Keep it aside for half an hour.
- Again now knead, pull and squeeze the dough in the water until the liquid becomes opaque. The seitan should be strained and you continue the same process until qatar is slightly opaque in appearance. The seitan will appear elastic and spongy in texture. The final weight of the seitan is four-hundred and fifty ounces. Squeeze this seitan and fill it in a bowl. In the seitan, add mustard, garlic powder, rosemary, maple syrup, and salt to it. Knead it until ingredients are well combined.
- Now, add in flour. Knead again.
- Shape the seitan into a rectangle. Form 3 strands out of this rectangle. Take all 3 strands and make a braid out of this. Pull it and form a knot.
- Take a pan and add vegetable stock. Boil it and add onions, carrots, and garlic cloves if you prefer. Low the flame and add seitan. Cook it keeping the lid half on. Cook for 1 hour and 30 min, at low flame.
- Change the sides of the seitan every half hour and you may add stock if required. After it is cooked, cool it properly and refrigerate overnight.
- Use forks to shred the vegan chicken.
- Shredded vegan chicken can be stored for up to three days in an airtight box in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it.
Cooking Tips & Recipe Variations
Counting On what you want to serve your vegan shredded chicken with, here are some marinade and spice pairing suggestions:
- Homemade spice mix can be used to prepare Vegan Chicken Fajitas
- Homemade vegan BBQ sauce with Coleslaw can be used to prepare BBQ Chicken Sliders
- Add it as pizza toppings
- Wrap the Vegan Shredded Chicken in the tortilla and make Cream Cheese Pinwheels
You can use your vegan shredded chicken in vegan chicken salad, tacos, or simply use it stir fry. Use it in pasta like vegan cajun pasta. Vegan Chicken Soup can also be served with shredded vegan chicken.
Why the vegan shredded chicken is not soft?
If you haven’t washed off the starch, then it may happen. There are 2 solutions now. First, take some oil and roast the chicken. Fry until they turn crispy on the outside. Second, you can freeze and thaw it prior to using it in the dish.
Why the seitan break when I was braiding?
If the starch is not washed off properly then it may happen with you. You may add one to two tablespoons of flour and then knead it. It will turn the seitan hard and make braiding easy. It might be a case that your seitan need some rest. Then, place it in the refrigerator for an hour and then you will be able to braid it easily.
Per serving, 90 kcal of calories, 11 grams of carbs, 5 grams of protein, 4 grams of fat, 1542 mg of potassium, 3 grams of iron, 4 grams of sugar, and 2 mg of iron.
We hope you enjoyed this post about how to make vegan chicken. Chicken is one of the most popular foods in America and it can be substituted with a plant-based version in many recipes, it is healthier and also helps us save the poor chickens
There are many different brands of vegan chicken that you can buy at your local grocery store or on Amazon. If you are looking for a healthy alternative to chicken, try making your own vegan chicken for your recipes.