This post may contain affiliate links
This Vegan Fried “Chicken” in the Taste of KFC is not only tender but also juicy and tasty. This approach also gives you a tear-able feel like genuine chicken but is completely plant-based!
Start making the crispiest, most flavorful vegan fried chicken you’ve ever tasted. Anyone who attempts this KFC Vegan Chicken dish will be blown away.
Fried chicken tenders have always been one of my favorite dishes. Whether it was homemade, KFC, Popeye’s, or anything else. I’m not exaggerating when I say this tofu fried chicken is EXACTLY like the genuine thing. Crispy and flaky on the exterior, soft and juicy on the inside—absolutely divine.
How to make KFC Vegan Fried Chicken
I did a lot of reading on KFC’s famed seasoning blend when developing this dish. While their approach is supposedly “top secret,” I was able to locate several fundamental ingredients that I could change to build my unique version. The seasoning mix has a number of ingredients, but odds are you already have the majority of them on hand. What you’ll need is as follows:
- Black Pepper
- Celery Salt
- Garlic Salt
- Italian Seasoning
- Mustard Powder
- White Pepper
In addition to this spice combination, you’ll need medium-firm tofu, AP flour, unsweetened plant-based milk, apple cider vinegar, and corn flakes for this dish. We choose medium-firm tofu since it has the ideal texture when prepared correctly.
Making the tofu is time-intensive, but it is worthwhile with a little patience. I promise you will enjoy this plant-based fried chicken. Basically, we will freeze the tofu box and then thaw it again. Once it has defrosted twice, we will open the box, dump the liquid, and compress the tofu until it becomes as dry as possible. The whole process may be seen on the recipe card below.
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 no-chicken bouillon cubes (or 2 cups of vegetable broth)
- 1 cup corn flakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 package of medium-firm tofu (16 oz)
- 2 quarts of vegetable oil for frying
- Place the entire box of medium-firm tofu in the freezer. Once frozen, retrieve it from the freezer and set it aside to thaw. • Repeat this process twice more.
- When the tofu has been fully thawed twice, open the box and completely drain away the liquid. Compress the tofu between two cutting boards to expel as much moisture as possible. After draining, use a paper towel to soak up any remaining liquid.
- Tofu should be cut into medium-sized pieces. For example, a block of tofu should give 8-10 pieces, plus a few smaller bits. The tofu should also naturally split apart.
- Arrange the tofu in a baking dish and cover it with 2 cups of vegan chicken stock. If using no-chicken bouillon cubes, combine them with 2 cups of boiling water before dumping them over the tofu. Once the tofu is completely soaked in the broth, leave it alone to marinate whilst you prepare the breading area.
- Combine unsweetened plant milk and apple cider vinegar in a medium mixing basin. Set aside after combining all of the ingredients. This results in vegan buttermilk.
- In a different mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and all of the spices indicated in the list of ingredients.
- We’re now going to set up our breading setup. First, we’ll put the marinated tofu, buttermilk, and seasoned flour mixture in a line. Next, take another big platter and set it aside to put the tofu once it has been breaded.
- Take a slice of marinated tofu at a time and carefully press any excess liquid from it. Dip it in the buttermilk, then in the seasoned flour, covering it all over. Place on a platter and proceed with the remaining tofu pieces. Arrange the breaded tofu on a platter that has been set aside.
- After the initial round of breading, scatter one cup of crushed corn flakes into the seasoned flour mixture using your hands. Mix until the corn flakes and flour are uniformly distributed.
- Repeat the coating procedure by dipping each piece of tofu in the buttermilk and then dredging in the flour and cornflake mixture. Do this until all pieces of the tofu are coated.
- In a big and deep pan, heat the frying oil to 350-375 degrees F. Set aside a tray lined with paper towels.
- Deep fry the tofu pieces in the heated oil until golden brown on all surfaces. It should take 4-7 minutes, turning as required. Place the completed pieces on the dish lined with paper towels to cool.
Serve with ranch (vegan) or your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Video Recipe for Vegan Fried Chicken
Pin this recipe and save it for later
- After frying the pieces, they may be frozen and heated up in a toaster oven or air fryer.
- Baking instructions: Set the oven to 425°F, carefully spray the exterior of each breaded piece of tofu with oil, lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for 20-30 minutes, turning midway through.
- Air fry instructions: gently cover the outside of every breaded chunk of tofu with oil and air-fry for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Let me know in the comment section how it turned out for you this vegan fried chicken recipe. If you liked this copycat recipe, check out this one also Vegan McChicken