This post may contain affiliate links
Isn’t it wonderful that you may have a delectable meal in such a short duration of time? No lengthy ingredients list, easy to prepare recipe, and satiating enough. Does this type of recipe exist? of course yes, “Vegan Tofu Milanese” best served with lots of fresh veggies turn out to be an extremely tempting meal, easily prepared and enjoyed. When tofu is fried, it looks and tastes like chicken, but it has more nutritional benefits than chicken. It’s an excellent source of protein as well as a number of vitamins and minerals for vegans.
Vegan Tofu Milanese
The following guide will walk you through my helpful vegan tofu Milanese-making tips as well as a recipe for you to try out. If you followed the right instructions, you can successfully nail your task of making the best vegan tofu Milanese.
- Firm Tofu 200g,
- Salt and pepper as per your taste,
- Chickpea flour 1 cup,
- 1 ½ Cups Coconut Milk,
- Olive oil ¼ cup,
- Paprika ¼ tsp,
- Garlic powder ¼ tsp,
- Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs 60g,
- Veggies of your choice,
- Cut the tofu into thin slices; otherwise, you will not get the desired flavor as the spices cannot penetrate a thick block of tofu.
- To a well-cleaned bowl, add garlic powder, paprika powder, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Thoroughly mix the entire ingredients. You can also directly sprinkle the salt on the tofu. For this, take a pinch of salt and sprinkle it over the slice. Then, flip the side of tofu and repeat the same process.
- Add chickpea flour to a shallow dish. Take another bowl and add coconut milk to it.
- Toss 1 slice of tofu in the chickpea flour and set aside. The tofu slice should then be dipped in coconut milk. Last but not least, evenly coat the tofu in seasoned breadcrumbs. To make all of the tofu slices, use the same steps.
- Fry the tofu slices now. You can either deep fry or pan-fry the tofu, depending on your preference.
- If you want to pan-fry the tofu, simply add 3 tablespoons of oil into the pan. Wait for few minutes and place the tofu in the oil. Flip the side after 3 to 4 minutes until it becomes golden and crispy. Follow this procedure on medium heat.
- You can also go for deep frying the tofu. Just keep a watchful eye on your pan to avoid burning your tofu.
- Once the tofu is fried, best serve them over the bed of vegetables of your choice. Sauté the vegetables. You can also squeeze some lemon juice over the top to give tofu, an extra tangy flavor.
Here are some insider tips and tricks for making your vegan tofu Milanese crispier on the outside while keeping supple and juicy on the inside.
- Use well-dried tofu for coating. You can simply press the tofu to remove excess moisture. The absorption property of dried tofu enhances, and its flavor turns out to be more amazing than the one with moisture.
- If you are using extra-firm tofu, then there is no need to over press it.
- I recommend you immediately fry tofu slices after coating them so that breadcrumbs don’t get separated.
- Use a non-stick pan for frying; otherwise, your tofu may stick to the pan and lose all the crispiness.
- A frying skimmer can also be used to deep fry the tofu.
- The high protein tofu works best for this recipe.
- You can also use frozen tofu, which can be deforested before use. A defrosted tofu absorbs flavor better.
Nutrition in 1 oz. g of fried tofu
- Calories 77
- Total carbs 3g
- Net carbs 1.9g
- Fat 5.7g
- Protein 4.9g
- Vitamin k 2.3mcg
- Calcium 105.5mg
- Sodium 4.5 mg
- Potassium 41.4mg
What is the best pan for frying tofu?
The frying of tofu is the most critical step in the success of the recipe. Frying is the step where you have to maintain the crispiness till the serving stage. So, if you want to make a lot crispier tofu’s,
go for a non-stick pan or a large pan of broader surface area so that tofu doesn’t get crowded.
Why my tofu becomes soft and loses flavor?
When you use wet tofu for coating, the spices do not stick properly to the tofu’s, ultimately making your tofu slices soft and less crispy. Tofu’s have a sponge-like texture. If your tofu is already filled with water, then how spices will penetrate it.
How to store tofu?
If you have opened the can of tofu, then store the tofu with some water. You can store it in the refrigerator. Don’t forget to change the water after some days. If you want to freeze the tofu, then unopened tofu can be stored in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Which one is the best type of tofu?
Tofu comes in different varieties. You may find soft or firm tofu. If you want to fry the tofu, then go for medium-firm or firm tofu, as these types work best for frying purposes.
Can I use tofu to manage calcium deficiency?
Tofu is a nutrition-rich food. If you want to overcome the deficiency of calcium, go for tofu with high content of calcium. You will find amazing results.
What will be the final texture of fried tofu?
When you will add tofu slices to the hot oil, they will become spongy in texture after 15 minutes of cooking.
What’s the process of pressing tofu?
Tofu pressing is essential for preserving the shape of tofu during the frying process. You’ll need a clean towel to absorb the moisture from the tofu. Place the tofu on a flat surface after wrapping it in a towel. Place a heavy utensil on top and wait for 30 minutes. This method will firm up soft tofu by reducing its thickness. After you’ve finished with this procedure, store it in an airtight container.
Let’s Sum Up
Vegan Tofu Milanese is a diverse and nutrient-dense cuisine. If you will follow this all-in-one recipe, for sure, you will end with an amazing treat and won’t regret trying it.