With its soft, creamy and moist texture, the vegan coconut loaf cake is a dessert that you wouldn’t mind indulging in almost daily. It is dairy-free and egg-free. So, if you lead a vegan lifestyle, this cake is a wonderful dessert option for you. You can cook this up easily with simple ingredients that you can find in your home kitchens. Enjoy this moist and tasty cake on weekends, Christmas parties, birthday parties, or any other occasion you like.
Vegan Coconut Loaf Cake
The vegan coconut loaf can be prepared within an hour, if you have all the ingredients ready. The key is to mix everything in one bowl in the right consistency, and allow the mixture to bake for the right amount of time.
Once the loaf is ready, spread a generous amount of coconut glaze on them, and you are ready to go! You don’t need to use any vegan cream or buttercream as a topping, as the coconut glaze is good enough to give the cake a rich and delicious flavor.
Here, we will give you the basic recipe for making the vegan coconut loaf cake and some variations you can try to make different versions of this cake every time you make it at home.
Pin the image below if you like this Vegan Coconut Loaf Cake Recipe!
Ingredients needed for making Vegan Coconut Loaf Cake
For 10 servings of this cake, you would need the following ingredients:
For the cake
- Plant Milk – ¾ cup (unsweetened version only)
- Oil – ½ cup (grapeseed, olive, or refined coconut oil can be used)
- Vegan Yogurt – 1/3 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup (powdered or granulated)
- Apple Cider Vinegar -2 teaspoons
- Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Extract – ½ teaspoon
- Almond Extract – ¼ teaspoon
- All-purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking Powder – 1.5 teaspoons
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
For the glaze
- Sugar – ¾ cup (powdered)
- Coconut Cream – 2 teaspoons
- Coconut Extract – ¼ teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract – ¼ teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon
- Grated or desiccated coconut – ¼ cup (you can use sweetened or unsweetened coconut for this purpose)
- Salt – a small pinch
Process of making the vegan coconut loaf cake
- Prepare your oven by preheating it to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a loaf pan by brushing it with vegan butter. Always use a big, non-stick pan to prepare this cake easily, without any hassles.
- In a big bowl, you have to first mix all the wet ingredients. These include almond extract, coconut extract, vanilla extract, vegan yogurt, apple cider vinegar, unsweetened plant milk, oil and sugar. Whisk the contents well till they blend nicely.
- Now, add the all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder into the wet mixture. Mix the contents well, but don’t stir too much.
- Your cake batter is ready. Now, pour the entire batter into the loaf pan.
- Place the loaf pan in the preheated oven, and bake the contents well for about an hour. Usually, it takes about 50 to 55 minutes for the loaf to get perfectly cooked. However, after 45 minutes, keep checking if the loaf has been cooked by inserting a toothpick in the centre of the loaf. If the toothpick comes out clean, the loaf has been cooked well.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes. You can continue to prepare the glaze for the cake while the loaf is settling down on the cooling rack.
- Mix all the glaze ingredients (except the fresh or desiccated coconut) into a bowl and blend well. Using a spoon pour this glaze over the loaf so that it pours down the sides of the loaf. This improves the visual appeal of your vegan coconut loaf cake.
- Sprinkle the dried, fresh or desiccated coconut you have on the top of the cake and allow the glaze and toppings to set on the loaf for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, cut the loaf into slices and enjoy a hot cup of tea on a cool evening to experience a piece of heaven in your mouths.
- When stored properly in a tin or air-tight container, the vegan coconut loaf cake remains soft and moist for two to three days also.
Some variations you can try
- To make the vegan coconut loaf cake healthier than this, you can replace all-purpose flour with oat flour, coconut flour, almond flour, or any other gluten-free vegan flour.
- You can use any vegan oil, but make sure to use only the refined versions so that the oil doesn’t have any additional flavors in it.
- While unsweetened plant milk is the most popular choice for making this recipe, you can also add more coconut flavors to the cake by using full-cream coconut milk. You can use any other type of vegan milk of your choice, but please remember to check for nut allergies in your family before using cashew or almond, or other nut milk types.
- Please don’t omit the use of lemon juice and salt while making the cake, as they help bring out the cake’s real flavors very well.
- You can add to the cake’s richness by topping it with a generous dollop of homemade buttercream. To make this, you need to follow these steps:
- Whisk about 100g of vegan butter in a bowl well, until it turns very smooth. Whisk thoroughly to achieve this consistency.
- When the mixture is smooth, add about 300g of icing sugar to it and keep mixing well. The mixture of vegan butter and icing sugar should be 1:3 always.
- Now, add just about two heaped tablespoons of thick coconut cream to the mixture and keep whisking until the consistency turns thick, creamy and frosty.
- Pour this into a piping bag and spread it all over the cooled loaf, before you top it with some more glaze and coconut.
- Instead of sugar, you can use any natural sweetener like agave nectar, raw honey, stevia, coconut sugar and more.
- When the loaf is getting baked, you can cover the cake with a foil during the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking time to retain the moisture and allow it from getting too browned.