A luscious and decadent double-layer vegan German choco cake with a coconut-pecan filling and a cocoa buttercream frosting. This is super chocolate-y!
If you wish to make a super luscious chocolate cake with a delicious coconut pecan filling then you are the right spot! I’ve been experimenting with this cake for quite a while and I have finally found the perfect recipe so here we go!
When it comes to baking, it’s no wonder that cakes are among the most popular desserts. This vegan chocolate cake variation is super moist with a gooey caramel, coco and pecan frosting and a vegan chocolate cream. A very rich and satisfying vegan chocolate cake ready to enjoy in any event.
What Does It Actually Taste Like?
The original German chocolate cake is super moist and very sweet. It’s a luscious chocolate-based cake made with three sweet parts, including:
-One layer of chocolate buttercream
-Two layers of a caramel-like gooey goodness with coconut shreds and pecans
So prepare yourself for the same rich and satisfying experience with this vegan German choco cake recipe. Ideal for any Holiday party or special event!
Refrigerating The German Vegan Chocolate Cake Cake
You should keep this in the fridge for at least 3 hours before cutting and serving or it can get crumble. You may also make this in advance, a couple of days before you have to serve it and keep it nice and sealed in a cake box in the fridge. If there is any leftover cake, you can freeze it and thaw it in the fridge for 24 hours before serving.
- 3 cups and 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (you may use gluten-free)
- 2 cups and 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cups white or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ACV vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
Filling & Frosting Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups (one can) condensed milk
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 ½ cups demerara sugar
- ¾ cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1 cup dark chocolate frosting
- 1 ½ cups pecans, chopped
Directions for German Vegan Chocolate Cake
For Making The Cake
- Preheat your oven at 350F/180C. Oil two 8” cake molds or pans and keep aside.
- Combine all the dry cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well. Incorporate the wet ingredients and whisk well until you end up with a smooth cake butter.
- Pour and split the batter onto the two cake molds and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clear.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely. Once it is cooled, add the frosting layer. Transfer the first cake part on a flat station. Spread ½ of the filling on top of the cake part until it covers it completely. Add the second cake on top and spread with the remaining filling. You may also add an extra layer of chocolate frosting if you wish. Allow the cake to cool and sit for 30 minutes to set.
For Making The Filling
- Combine the coconut can milk with the vegan butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat and allow to simmer. Once it starts to simmer, whisk everything together until the filling sauce thickens.
- Take the mixture off the heat. Whisk in the shredded coconut and chopped pecans until thoroughly mixed. Allow to cool for a few minutes before layering the cakes in-between and on top of the filling.
To store this:
Due to the fact that the filling/frosting has a quite gooey texture, it’s best to keep this in the fridge inside a closed container. This will hold up for up to 7 days. To serve it, let it sit at room temperature first for half an hour so the filling gets softer.