This post may contain affiliate links
Arroz Caldo or aroskaldo is a Filipino style rice congee or lugaw as they call it. It is a dish made with the simplest ingredients like rice, chicken, ginger, garlic, onions, fish sauce, etc. This dish is taken as a breakfast, brunch, dinner and lunch. This tasty, savory and comforting rice porridge will satisfy your taste buds and give you the strength you need for the day!
But today, it’s all about veganism! When it comes to vegan Arroz Caldo recipe, do not worry about the taste difference because this recipe will completely change your mind about rice porridge. Read along to find out the recipe for the perfect Vegan Arroz Caldo!
Why Vegan Arroz Caldo Recipe?
Of course, there are a number of recipes for vegan Arroz Caldo on the internet. But not all follow a simple, easy and quick procedure. And that is what every person looks for when cooking porridge, “Quick, easy, and simple procedure with a yummy result!”
Guess what? This recipe uses the most basic, simple and non-expensive ingredients that you can find in your kitchen daily. And even the cooking procedure cannot get as easy as this! Without any further ado, let’s look into the ingredients, cooking process, and everything to know to cook the perfect Arroz Caldo!
Types of equipment needed
- A large pot
- A sharp knife
- Metal or wooden spatula
- A ladle
- 1 cup of long grain rice (uncooked)
- Vegan chicken strips
- 2 onions
- 7-10 cloves of garlic
- A large clove of ginger
- 5-6 pieces of Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- Saffron threads
- ½ tbsp of garlic powder
- Around6-8 cups of water
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
For the toppings
- Calamansi juice
- Crispy fried garlic
- Fresh diced onion
- Chili oil
- Fresh herbs
- Rinse your rice thoroughly 3-4 times until the water looks clear. Now drain the excess water and keep it aside in a clean bowl.
- Dice your onions, garlic, ginger, mushrooms and keep them aside on separate bowls.
- Turn on the heat and preheat your pot to medium heat. Add the cooking oil and before you add the ingredients, let the oil get steaming hot.
- Add your diced onions, ginger and sauté them for about 2-3 minutes. You can now add the soy sauce and garlic powder at this point and give it a quick stir.
- Now, you can toss in the saffron threads and garlic and sauté until they’re perfectly golden.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper according to your measurement.
- Add the mushrooms, vegan chicken strips into the pot and sauté until they’re golden brown and fragrant.
- Next, you can add your uncooked washed rice and stir all the ingredients all together until they’re well combined.
- Time to pour the water into the pot. Give it a good stir, cover the pot with a lid, and let the rice cook patiently. Make sure to stir the rice after every 3-4 minutes.
- Once you see that the rice has cooked and the water has a thick consistency, give it a taste whether it needs more salt and pepper.
- Now, you can squeeze the Calamansi juice to finish it off.
- For the garnish or toppings, you have many options like crispy fried garlic, freshly diced onion, hot chili oil or even fresh herbs of your choice!
Tips and tricks
- Yes. Saffron can be expensive. But you can always find saffron at a lower price at Asian supermarkets. While some people use turmeric as a substitute for saffron.
- Some even add plant protein and vegetable paste in their vegan Arroz Caldo dish.
- Stir your rice every few minutes to keep the texture of the rice perfect and prevent it from getting burned.
- Do not get stingy with your garlic and ginger. Remember. They are the primary flavor enhancer of this dish.
- The toppings or garnish are a must in this dish. Don’t skip this step!
Store your congee!
Do not worry if you happen to have made a little too much of Arroz Caldo! You can always store this congee by transferring them in airtight containers and storing them in the refrigerator. That way, you can store it for up to 2-3 days. Transfer the toppings in separate containers, and you can garnish them anytime on top of your congee.
Note to remember: Because it is porridge, it will eventually thicken more as it cools. Before serving it up, make sure you reheat the porridge by adding a quarter cup of water and stirring thoroughly. You can add salt and pepper accordingly (optional).
Arroz Caldo, a health booster
It’s no wonder why this porridge or congee is consumed when the body feels weak and sickly. All the medicinal ingredients are combined in this dish, and once you finish a bowl of this, you will regain your energy back in no time!
Loaded with immune-boosting ingredients like ginger, saffron and garlic, say bye-bye to cold, fatigue, sinus infections, allergies, weakness, etc. This savory porridge will clear your stomach, improve your digestion, reduce diarrhea, etc., and it is also low in carbs as compared to regular Arroz Caldo. With all these health benefits this simple dish provides, there is no call for excuses at all!
Arroz Caldo dish has been cooked and eaten as a health booster, a yummy brunch or even dinner for a very long time now. And people continue to love this dish to date. If you’re looking for a perfect vegan congee, then this is the recipe.
You don’t have to break your head following the recipe and to cook it up. All you need are a few ingredients that you will find in your kitchen and your urge to make this porridge!
Don’t search any further, looking for the best recipe when you already have found the perfect recipe!