This post may contain affiliate links
Let me show you my favorite vegan doner kebab recipe which is also one of the most popular Turkish foods.
Doner kebabs are made from lamb and are marinated before serving. This veggie version is packed with flavor and is much healthier than the traditional version. This is also a great meal for feeding multiple guests. You can make a double or triple batch, stick it in the oven and just come back to serve and eat.
Doner Kebab is basically street food. With the basic ingredients obtained from plants, this dish is making its way into vegan cooking. It’s one of the favorite dishes of many.
In Asian countries, kebabs are side dishes and are also served along with tea. Somewhere they have eaten alone, and somewhere they are served along with the rice. But the specialty of the doner kebab is that it can be served as a sandwich or along with the tortilla.
How to make Vegan Doner Kebab
Preparation Time: 60 min
Cooking Time: 60 min
Total Time: 2 hours
- Vital Wheat Gluten – 280 grams
- Sea salt – 2 tsp
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Ground cumin – 4 tsp
- Garlic powder – 2 tsp
- Onion Powder – 2 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Ried oregano – 2 tsp
- Dried thyme – 4 tsp
- Dried parsley – 4 tsp
- Nutritional Yeast – 4 tbsp
- Water – 400 ml
- Tamari soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Liquid smoke – 2 tbsp
- Extra virgin Olive oil
- Tamari soy sauce
- Take a bowl and add in the dry ingredients. In another bowl, add the wet ingredients. Now, gently and slowly add the wet ingredients to dry ones and mix them using a spoon or spatula. Now take it out on the shelf and knead the dough. To avoid sticking the dough to the surface, sprinkle some wheat flour.
- Kneading the dough may take 5 min or at least until the dough is smooth in texture. Form the dough in a log shape.
- Fold the Seitan log tightly in many layers of foil. Put it in the microwave with a water tray underneath it. Preheat the oven to 200°C and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the log to cool completely before your transfer from the foil to the shelf. Remove it from the foil once it has completely cooled.
- Take a cast iron pan and put the Seitan in it. Brush the log with the oil and pour some tamari soy sauce on it as well. Turn the side once it is cooked. Take out from the pan and remove the outer layer using a knife. Now again cook it in the pan until all the log is cooked.
- Doner kebab is ready to be served.
Pin this recipe and save it for later
Per serving, you will get 246 kcal of calories, 1.5 grams of sugar, 963.8 mg of Sodium, 6 gram of fat, 10.4 carbs, 3 gram of fiber, and 38.4 grams of protein.
Here are a few cooking tips for preparing Vegan Doner Kebab. Check them out!
- You can freeze the kebab as well. You should be freezing them after the baking process and then fry them later. You can also freeze them after the pan-fry. For later use, it is advised to freeze in portion sizes.
- Serve kebab in a homemade flatbread, with lettuce, and plant-based yogurt.
- For trying variations in the recipe, prepare a vegan doner kebab using vegan cheese. Grilled mayonnaise and chips add more flavor.
How to cook vegan doner kebab with vegan cheese?
Prepare french fries as per the instruction on the package. At least they should be crispy. Add halloumi cheese slices to the frying pan and cook them until they turn brown and crispy. In the bowl, mix mayonnaise, dried parsley, garlic granules, and some salt and pepper. Now start assembling, first, spread garlic mayonnaise on the flatbread, and on the top, add cucumber, tomato, and red onion. Now, layer halloumi cheese and french fries. Serve them immediately.
Which equipment is recommended for pan-frying?
Use a cast-iron pan. It will give you the ideal crispy fry. If you don’t have a cast-iron pan, then try any other type. Well, it is suggested to use a non-stick frying pan.
Can I use a spoon instead of a spatula as I don’t have one at home?
It is recommended to use a spatula or a wooden spoon for combining the dough. If you have other spoons or options, it may cut through the spongy seitan dough and the texture will damage. So, it is advised to use among these 2.
Why do I need separate bowls for wet and dry ingredients?
You should be using separate bowls for wet and dry ingredients before you mix them. In this way, ingredients will be evenly distributed.
As always, we hope that you are able to find some new recipes to try and that you enjoy cooking and eating our blog recipes as much as we enjoy creating them! If you have any questions, or any recipe requests, please don’t hesitate to comment. We hope you enjoy this vegan doner kebab recipe. It is a tasty dish that is easy to make. It can be served as an appetizer or as a main meal.
If you have any pro tips for this recipe, share them with our readers. Share the pictures or short videos capturing the doner kebab final presentation. We recommended some serving tips, which one do you prefer? If you have better serving options, share them with us.