The greatest vegan cottage cheese–savory, simple, and with the perfect cottage cheese consistency–it’s even better than its original version.
I was always looking for the perfect vegan cottage cheese recipe to use in my blog. But I can’t take credit for that. I gave it to John and he said: create a vegan cottage cheese recipe please and he made it!
The vegan diet is often considered to be a healthy diet choice for a more sustainable and healthy future. As it is packed with proteins yet it’s low in saturated fats, it’s one of the wisest diet options a person can make. Since most people in the western world use cottage cheese on a regular basis, you can prepare its vegan version as well and serve it in salads, marinated or even desserts (if prepared the right way).
This quick and simple Vegan cottage cheese is the greatest replacement for its original dairy version. It is packed with plant protein and other nutrients as it is quite versatile. You may use it in salads, as a spread on your toast, or as a sip for your veggie and fruit sticks if you prefer.
From the moment I learned to prepare this version from my buddy Jake, I couldn’t be happier. At one point, cottage cheese was a staple breakfast spread for me and I’ve begun to miss it. Thus, with the help of my friend, I have created this vegan version and let me tell you, you will love it!
Why Is This Vegan Cottage Cheese So Great?
- It’s super fast and simple to prepare. The only step that eats a bit more time than others is soaking the cashews–however, you can save some time and effort by checking our chef’s tips below.
- It has that excellent cottage cheese consistency that is not too crumbly but not too smooth and creamy either.
Basic Vegan Cottage Cheese Ingredients
Silken Tofu. This is the most tender and creamy part of the tofu range. This will render that chunky and crumbly cottage cheese consistency you want.
Nutritional yeast. If you are preparing lot’s of vegan recipes, you are most probably familiar with the “Nooch” or nutritional yeast. This adds a cheesier and nuttier flavor to every vegan dish.
Chef’s Tips for Vegan Cottage Cheese Success
- The most simple method to soak the cashews in this recipe is to pour hot water into a bowl, insert the cashews, and let them soak for about an hour. If you are in a hurry, you may speed things up a tad! Instead of filling the bowl with hot water, place the raw cashews in a pot with enough water to cover them totally, get it to a boil, and then let the cashews cook covered for approx. 10 minutes. The next step would be to rinse and drain them and then beat some vegan cottage cheese!
- Avoid soaking the cashews in water for too long. The water will become gross and the cashews may develop a weird scent and taste. If this occurs, toss them out and start again. However, this shouldn’t be a concern for you if you are soaking these for only a few hours and not overnight or more.
- 3 tbsp raw cashew nuts
- 10 oz. silken tofu
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp ACV vinegar
- Salt-Pepper (to taste)
- Submerge the cashews in hot water for 60 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu with a fork in a medium bowl and keep aside.
- Pulse the soaked cashews in a food processor with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, almond milk, and vinegar. Place the cashew mixture into a bowl with the silken tofu. Whisk well until nicely incorporated.
- Serve with bread, veggies and crackers.