This post may contain affiliate links
This recipe resembles a key lime pie, but it is completely different. They only share the biscuit base and creamy consistency, as both feature vegan heavy cream.
These creamy vegan lemon bars are just perfect, sweeter, and slightly firmer than the key lime pie, and they’re even perfect as a snack, as they have plenty of vitamins and a great fresh taste.
Why These Vegan Lemon Bars Are the Best
Easy to Make: Making these lemon bars couldn’t be simpler! Easy as pie!
Vegan: You would never know that these lemon bars are plant-based after tasting one. They are a healthier version of the original and are creamy, tasty, and entertaining.
Graham Cracker Crust: Most lemon bars have a shortbread crust, which I find a little monotonous. These bars are distinctive and stand out because of their delectable graham cracker crust! And you don’t need to bake the crust!
Here are a few tips for better results
Although store-bought bottled lemon juices are practical, you can clearly tell the difference! Fortunately, this jiggly dessert only needs roughly 4-5 lemons, so using a hand-held lemon juicer (or even your hands!) is entirely feasible. You need 7 oz of freshly squeezed lemon juice, and you’re set to go!
If after you add the sugar to the lemon juice, it still is too sour, add 1 tsp of baking soda to it; it will help to remove the acidity of the lemon.
Lemon bars often contain eggs, so coming up with a vegan alternative was quite difficult. But everything else was simple once I discovered how much cornstarch and coconut cream to use. Eggs are not required because the cornstarch thickens the curd filling.
Vegan Lemon Bars Recipe
You’ll enjoy the buttery crust and the creamy lemon filling in this this “melt-in-your-mouth” dessert that strikes the ideal balance between sweet and tangy.
- 10 oz Graham’s Crackers
- 3 oz Vegan Butter
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 7 oz Water
- 7 oz Lemon Juice
- 5 oz Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Coconut cream
- 1 tsp Baking Soda (if needed)
For the crust:
- Line a parchment paper with a baking pan.
- Crush the biscuits or the crackers to get fine crumbs; eventually, place them into a small bowl.
- Proceed to melt the vegan butter and add it to the biscuit mix. Add vanilla extract and press with your hands to get a homogeneous mixture. Spread the biscuit we got in.
- Place the dish in the fridge for about 15 minutes to cool.
For the lemon filling:
- Place a small pot over medium heat.
- Add water and sugar to a pot. Next, add lemon juice and lemon zest and bring to a boil.
- At this point, the juice in the pot should be boiling. Add the coconut cream and cornstarch, and whisk to dissolve it. Lower the heat and cook until the fill thickens.
- We must be fast and pour all the lemon juice filling on top of the biscuit we made earlier. Use a spoon to spread it evenly all across the base.
- Put the whole thing back in the fridge and let the lemon bars sit down.
- Once the lemon on top becomes firm, we can finally cut rectangles out of our oven-dish-sized lemon bar.
- Sprinkle the lemon bars with powdered sugar and serve cold.
- These lemon bars are good to eat for 4 days, don’t forget to avoid excessive moisture.
If you like these vegan lemon bars, please share the recipe with your friends!