Ohh Vegan Eggs Benedict–so good reminders of the classic version. Prepared with butter English muffins that are topped with vegan ham slices, tofu scramble eggs, and the smoothest hollandaise sauce you ever tried out!
I’m not sure about your likes but for me, a nice savory breakfast is always a great idea anyday. These vegan eggs benedict are a great replacement of the typical non-vegan version. Prepared with an egg-like tofu burger with just the right amount of seasoning and a smooth vegan hollandaise sauce, these eggs benedict will pleasantly tickle your taste buds!
Vegan Eggs Benedict Made Easy
Making this vegan hollandaise sauce is pretty easy as you’ll need only a few ingredients. You won’t need any eggs to make this and you won’t realize their absence. All you need to have is a bit of lemon, vegan margarine, tofu and dijon mustard.
When I was at Blossom’s in New York City, I had the chance to try out one of the first vegan variations of eggs benedict. And let me tell you, this vegan alternative is just as good.
For the “Egg” Tofu Patties
- 1 (16 ounce) pack extra firm tofu, firmly pressed,
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp Indian black salt (Kala Namak),
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
For The Hollandaise Sauce,
- ⅓ block (around 4 ounces) silken tofu
- ⅓ plant milk e.g. soy or almond
- 3 tsp vegan butter or margarine, melted
- ⅔ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- Dash of Indian black salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 English muffins, toasted
- 4 veggie “ham” slices e.g. Tofurky
- A few chopped chives, scallions or dill (for garnishing)
- Fresh spinach, steamed
For Making The Eggy Tofu Patties
- Cut your tofu into small square bits (slice around 1” off the bottom). Switch the block on its regular side and cut down the center lengthwise in ½” parts. This will make approx. 3-4 slices (based on how thick or thin you slice them).
- Add the tofu slices with a bit of olive oil in a medium container with a lid, making sure that all tofu sides are covered with oil.
- In a second bowl, mix all the spices well and sprinkle generously over the tofu slices one one side and then on the other side.
- Seal the container and let tofu sit in the marinate for around 15 minutes or so.
- After marinating the tofu, pour the flour onto a deep plate and dip each tofu patty into the flour, making sure all sides are coated well. Shake any excess flour off and transfer onto a large pan.
- Grease the bottom of the pan with a bit of oil and heat over medium to high heat. Cook the tofu patties for around 4 minutes on each side or until they get a nice golden brown hue.
- Once the tofu patties are done, place them on a plate lined with kitchen paper and keep aside.
- Add all the sauce ingredients in a food processor and pulse until creamy and smooth. If the texture is too thick and rich, dilute it with small amounts of water (add only as much as it needs) until you reach the perfect consistency.
Assembling The “Eggs”
- Place ½ of the English muffin on a serving plate. Top with a vegan ham slice, the steamed spinach, one tofu patty and a generous dose of hollandaise sauce. Finally garnish with the herbs e.g. chives or dill. Repeat the above assembly steps for the remaining 3 portions and serve!