This post may contain affiliate links
We’re excited to share our special homemade vegan Nutella recipe, which is a cleaner and cruelty-free version of the classic spread. This recipe is a game-changer because it uses a delicious combination of hazelnuts, dark chocolate, and coconut milk that will satisfy your sweet tooth.
In this complete guide, we’ll show you how easy it is to make this delicious spread at home and look at some of the best vegan Nutella alternatives you can buy. So, whether you’re a long-time vegan or just starting out on your plant-based journey, this article is a must-read!
Vegan Nutella Recipe
Experience the fun of making your delicious spreads with our homemade Vegan Nutella recipe. This lovely blend, featuring roasted hazelnuts’ rich flavor and coconut milk’s smooth creaminess, is a culinary experience waiting to happen.
- 3 cups of hazelnuts
- 2/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp of dark chocolate
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- 1.5 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Toast the hazelnuts in an oven heated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 12 minutes or until they become aromatic. (You can also air-fry them for 10 minutes at 375F). Once they are done, take them out of the oven and cover them with foil or a tea towel so they can steam for a few minutes. Then, rub the skins off and throw them away.
- Once the hazelnuts have cooled down a bit but are still warm, put them in a food processor and grind them up. Keep blending for about 10 to 15 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl every so often, until the hazelnuts become a smooth butter. When it’s the right consistency, it won’t be grainy and will feel oily to the touch.
- Then, put the cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and salt in the food processor with the hazelnut butter.
- Add the powdered sugar slowly while the food processor is still running. The mixture will start to come together in a way that looks like a ball of dough.
- Now, while the food processor is still running, slowly pour in the coconut milk. This will help the liquid mix in evenly and make the texture smooth.
- Lastly, add the coconut oil in small amounts until the mixture has the right texture. Don’t forget that the finished product will be a little less runny after it has cooled completely. If you have a good food processor and process the butter for at least 15 minutes, you can get enough oil from the hazelnuts so that you don’t need to add much more oil.
- Pour your homemade vegan Nutella into a jar, and it’s ready to serve or store!
The Best Store Bought Vegan Nutella Alternatives
Even though making your own vegan Nutella at home is fun and rewarding, we understand that sometimes you might just want to grab a ready-made jar off the shelf. Luckily, there are a lot of brands out there that make alternatives to Nutella that are suitable for us vegans. Here are some of our favorites:
- Nocciolata Dairy-Free Hazelnut Spread with Cocoa: This organic spread is made with high-quality ingredients and is palm oil-free. It has a creamy texture and a rich, chocolatey taste that will satisfy your cravings for Nutella.
- Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter: Justin’s is known for making tasty nut butter but also has a vegan-friendly chocolate hazelnut spread. It’s made with simple, natural ingredients and goes great on toast or in your favorite dishes.
- Artisana Organics Hazelnut Cocoa Spread: This brand makes a raw, vegan, and organic hazelnut cocoa spread and is palm oil free. It is made with few ingredients and has a rich, indulgent flavor.
- Vor Foods Chocolate Hazelnut Butter: This chocolate hazelnut spread is not only vegan, but it is also gluten-free and keto-friendly. It’s made with high-quality ingredients and has a delicious, creamy texture.
- Jem Organics Sprouted Chocolate Hazelnut Butter: This spread is made with sprouted hazelnuts that are easy to digest and have more nutritional benefits. It’s also organic, raw, and free of refined sugars.
- Wild Friends Chocolate Hazelnut Spread: This brand makes a chocolate hazelnut spread that is palm oil free and vegan. It is made with simple, natural ingredients and is a great way to add a little sweetness to your day.
- Gooey Snacks Hazelnut Cocoa Spread: This spread is gluten-free, vegan, and made with all organic ingredients. It has a rich, chocolatey flavor and a creamy texture.
- Fine & Raw Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Spread: This brand sells a hazelnut spread that is raw, vegan, and made with organic ingredients. It has no refined sugars and a rich, indulgent flavor.
- Nucolato Keto-Friendly Hazelnut Spread: This spread is vegan and keto-friendly. It’s made with high-quality ingredients and has a tasty, creamy texture.
Have you liked our recipe for homemade vegan Nutella? Click on the image below and pin it to your Pinterest board. Spread vegan love around like you’d spread this delicious Nutella on a piece of toast.
Can I make my own hazelnut butter?
Yes, you can! Hazelnuts are the only thing you need to make your own hazelnut butter. You also need a food processor and a warm oven. Bake your hazelnuts at 350° F for 15 minutes, rub them until their skins come off easily, and then run them through a food processor until a cream forms.
Can I add other ingredients to my Vegan Nutella?
Absolutely! You can add a few dashes of cinnamon for a delicious fall/holiday touch, a few drops of peppermint flavor for a minty chocolate Nutella, or chopped peanuts, coconut shreds, or cacao nibs for a crunchy texture.
Can I replace the coconut milk in the recipe with another type of milk?
Yes! We used coconut milk in our recipe because it has a rich and creamy texture, but you could also use almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, or cashew milk instead. Just remember that the taste and texture might differ depending on what kind of milk you use.
How long does homemade vegan Nutella last?
Your homemade vegan Nutella should last about two to three weeks if you keep it in the fridge in an airtight container. But it’s so tasty that it might not last that long!
What makes Nutella spread not vegan?
Traditional Nutella has skim milk powder, which is a dairy product. So, it’s not suitable for vegans. But the homemade vegan Nutella recipe we share in this article is dairy-free and vegan-friendly!