This post may contain affiliate links
Are you feeling tired after a long day? Are you in the mood to cook something quick and tasty using the basic ingredients in your kitchen? If yes, Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos are excellent choices for you. We are all in the mood for innovative and flavorful tacos all the time, aren’t we?
As a change from the usual filling, you can now try this gluten-free, vegan buffalo jackfruit filling to get a blend of different flavors in your mouth as you bite into it. The sourness of the green jackfruit, the spiciness of the buffalo sauce, the crunchiness of the slaw & toppings and the enjoyable vegan ranch dressing or blue cheese make this dish just the perfect dinner you were looking for.
Jackfruits – Popular Vegan Ingredient
You might come across many vegan dishes using jackfruit as their main ingredient. Have you ever wondered why? This is because jackfruit is filling, and its texture, when shredded, resembles pulled pork or chicken. They are very easy to cook and they taste yummy. We should use only young and green jackfruit for this dish to get the flavors and taste right.
If you can find whole jackfruits in your locality, you are lucky. Nothing makes the buffalo jackfruit tacos tastier than the use of fresh jackfruit. However, since it is a tropical fruit, you may not commonly find jackfruit in all places. In these cases, you can make use of canned jackfruit. All you need to do is ensure that you drain the jackfruit thoroughly so that there are no traces of brine in them. After draining them thoroughly, you should wipe them dry with a clean cloth, before you proceed to start cooking them.
If you cannot find fresh or canned jackfruit in your locality, don’t fret over it. You can replace jackfruit with tempeh, tofu, or cauliflower. However, please note that these options don’t give you the actual taste of jackfruit.
Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos – some prep work you need to do
Buffalo jackfruit tacos are best enjoyed when they use the right kind of ingredients. While you can buy vegan cheese or mayonnaise from the supermarket, nothing beats the charm of making your own stuff at home. This is a healthy, cost-effective and time-saving option. You can prepare vegan blue cheese in large quantities and store it properly. Therefore, you can use it for any dish at any time of the day.
So the first point to remember to get the main dish ready is to get the prep done properly. Here are the ingredients you need for making vegan blue cheese at home. You can use this in the form of a ranch dressing, cheese spread, or mayonnaise.
Check out the process of making the vegan blue cheese here
Ingredients needed for making Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos (for 6 servings)
- Taco Shells – 6
- Jackfruit – 2o-ounce can (with brine)
- Buffalo Sauce – about ¾ cup
- Red and White Cabbage – 1 cup each (thinly sliced)
- Chives – 2 tablespoons (finely chopped)
- Vegan Blue Cheese – as much or as little as you need
- Avocado – 1 (cubed)
Process of making Vegan Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos
- Drain the jackfruit of all the brine and boil it with some water on a saucepan on medium heat. Wait till the water boils and the jackfruit becomes slightly soft.
- Take off the heat and use a fort to shred the pieces of jackfruit.
- Again switch on the flame and heat the shredded jackfruit pieces on a pan for about 5 minutes. Add the buffalo sauce along with the fruit and sauté the contents well, so that the flavors of the sauce seep into the jackfruit well.
- Once the color of the jackfruit changes (to a slightly dark shade), switch off the flame.
- Place the jackfruit and sauce filling in the middle of a taco shell. Top it with the ingredients of your choice (avocado, cabbage, chives and vegan blue cheese are common toppings)
- Enjoy the fresh flavors of the tacos immediately.
Some points to note
- If you are planning to store the contents for later use, we recommend using different containers. For example, use one to store the jackfruit & buffalo sauce mixture, one more for storing the cabbage slaw with chives, one for the cubed avocados and one for the vegan blue cheese. This way, you can ensure that the fresh flavors are maintained when you use them for making buffalo jackfruit tacos later. The jackfruit & buffalo sauce mixture stays good in the fridge for about 3 days.
- Instead of water, you can use vegetable broth for additional flavor.
- If you are a lover of spicy tacos, you can add a couple of teaspoons of any hot sauce or cayenne pepper sauce along with the buffalo sauce.