This post may contain affiliate links
Today we are going to make one of the most delicious vegan foods out there “The Vegan pea salad”. The most important ingredient in the preparation of this dish is of course “pea”.
This Pea Salad comes together in just 20 minutes. It is coated in the most delicious Ranch Dressing. It is easy to make and perfect for anyone, even those who don’t like salads. Also, It’s vegan, which is even better, and you will never know the difference.
Peas are healthy and highly nutritious vegetables that should be added to your meals and dishes. They have a very attractive green color and they have a bean-like shape. Your peas can come fresh or frozen.
Quite many people might be wondering what the “Pea salad” is but if you are from certain parts of the United States, i mean the south, you will understand exactly what we are talking about.
This Vegan Pea Salad is a must-try
This salad is delicious! The texture and taste are perfect. But the best part is the ease of preparation. Mix it with a creamy dressing.
The peas and smoky tempeh bacon add an extra dimension to the dish and give it a great texture.
It is easy to follow the step-by-step instructions and see pictures to achieve an amazing result.
Ingredients needed to make the vegan pea salad
- 20 oz of frozen or fresh peas
- ¼ cup diced red onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 slices tempeh bacon (or any other smoky vegan protein of your choice)
- 1 cup vegan ranch dressing or vegan mayo
Before you go ahead and make your salad, you will need to blanch the peas and soak the onions.
- Blanching the peas help their coat to turn a brighter green while keeping their fresh flavour and it’s a very simple process to carry out while soaking the onions in cold water takes away some of the sharp flavours of the raw onions but ensures that it retains its taste, flavour and texture.
Steps to follow when blanching your peas;
- Boil a pot of water and prepare another bowl of ice water that can fit a colander into. Put the peas into the boiling water for 2 minutes if they are fresh or 30 seconds if they are frozen.
- Carefully strain the peas using the prepared colander and then place the colander in the bowl of ice water to stop the peas from cooking further.
- Drain the water and your peas are ready to be used.
How to soak your onions;
- Prepare a bowl of cold water and put your diced onions in it to soak
- Leave the onions to soak for about 5-10 minutes, drain and pat dry
- After blanching your peas and soaking your red onions in cold water, all you need to do to finish up the Vegan Pea Salad is to put all the ingredients together and mix them nicely.
- There’s no standard instruction on which ingredient goes first. Just make sure that you mix properly and thoroughly and you’ve got yourself a delicious and healthy bowl of Vegan Pea Salad.
Pin the image below if you like this plant-based pea salad recipe!
Can I freeze Pea Salad ?
This is not something I recommend.
First, the peas are already frozen. Refreezing them will result in a looser texture.
The ranch dressing will also become watery and make the entire salad soggy. It won’t taste good.
If you’ve liked this vegan version of famous pea salad, please share to your social media pages.