This post may contain affiliate links
Today I decided to share with you the recipe for vegan mozzarella sticks. Were you planning to cook them once? Well, before going on, I would like to mention that I first tasted this recipe at my local restaurant.
Later, on reaching home, I tried to search for the recipe on the internet. I also asked a few of my colleagues to search me a better recipe. After a few days, one of my friends texted me the recipe and I tried it at home. It was awesome. I don’t know from where she searched but the taste was so good, even better than at the restaurant.
Since that day, I make mozzarella sticks at home. Whenever I plan a movie night or I am craving snacks, I simply make them. It is light on the stomach, great in taste, and more amazingly easy to prepare.
Take them as an appetizer or a snack time dish. If you have been trying different restaurants before for eating vegan mozzarella sticks then today you will like my recipe. It takes 1 hour in preparation and 5 minutes in cooking.
These crispy, cheesy, and savoury bites will have you coming back for more. You’re going to love that they only require a few simple ingredients and simple steps. We hope you love them as much as we do! Let’s not waste the time and navigate to the recipe.
How to make delicious Vegan Mozzarella Sticks
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
You will need a few ingredients only – 6 ingredients. You can prepare the mixture and shape it. Now, freeze it to fry it later when need to be served. Check the ingredients below!
Vegan Mozzarella-Style string cheese sticks – 6 (frozen)
- Italian Bread Crumbs – 1/3 cup
- Panko Bread Crumbs – ¼ cup
- Flour – ¼ cup + 3 tbsp
- Corn Starch – 3 tbsp
- Water – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Vegetable Oil – 1 tbsp
- Oil for drying
- Start preparation by first taking out the mozzarella cheese sticks from the freezer and cutting them in half. It is suggested to cut them in half before freezing them.
- Take a large bowl and add bread crumbs (both Italian and panko).
- In another bowl, add one-fourth cup of flour.
- Now, again take another separate bowl and mix flour cornstarch, water and oil (1 tablespoon) in it.
- It’s time to coat your cheese sticks. In the mixture, dip your cheese sticks. Coat them properly and then shake off extra. Use the wet corn starch to prepare them for another coating. Now, dip the wet sticks in the bowl of bread crumbs and cover them properly. More coating means more crispiness.
- Take a baking pan lined with baking paper and then start placing the coated cheese sticks on it. Now freeze it for a minimum of 60 minutes.
- Take a pan, put in oil for deep frying. If you have a deep fryer, use that at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fry the cheezies stick for at least one minute or until they appear crispy. Don’t overcook because the inside is just cheese.
- Opt for any of your favourite marinara sauce and serve.
Per each serving, you will et 158kcal of calories, 30 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fat, 5 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, 2 grams of sugar, and 2 mg of iron.
- Dip the cheese sticks in the wet ingredients with one hand or fork, and then in the dry ingredients with the other hand. Clumps will not be formed and a large mess can be avoided this way.
- You can skip the Italian seasonings and use Italiano breadcrumbs instead of regular breadcrumbs. Be sure that you are choosing the vegan type! It’s certain that you may fall into the trap of choosing one containing dairy.
- Add a dash or two of liquid smoke to the wet ingredients to give your sticks a smoky flavour.
- You can melt leftover cheese on pizza, or slice it on a burger if you have some.
- Substitute mozzarella cheese with cheddar or another flavour. The concern is all about trying vegan.
- If you prefer cashews, add them or instead add silken tofu is don’t like nuts.
If you liked this recipe share it on Pinterest!
Can I store or reheat the leftovers?
These can simply be prepared a night or two ahead of time! Simply freeze them until you’re ready to bake or fry them. They taste great when eaten hot, straight from the oven or fryer, but leftovers can be kept covered in the refrigerator or freezer for some days. For reheating the remainings, use the microwave and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Microwave until they get warm (10 min). Cooking in the oven will turn them soggy.
Can I bake them instead of frying them?
Take out the frozen sticks and now preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray oil on the frozen sticks and then bake them for 10 minutes.
Can I cook gluten-free sticks?
Yes, you can make it vegan gluten-free mozzarella sticks. Use gluten-free products (breadcrumbs and flour).
- How to air-fry the vegan mozzarella sticks?
Use the air fryer tray and place all the sticks on it. Cook it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. The cooking time is 7 min. Cook until they turn golden brown and are hot enough.
Vegan Mozzarella Sticks, the crunchiest vegan snack you can make. I love the taste and texture of these. They are super crunchy and have a great cheese flavour. The coating is crispy and flaky, and you can even dip these in the marinara sauce if you want. Nevertheless, these sticks are awesome on their own and you will love them.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do. If you make them, please share your picture with us on Instagram or Facebook. We would love to see how they turned out. Leave us comments if you have queries about the recipe or if you want any recommendations.