It is difficult to describe the taste of Vegan Apple Galette in one word – it is simply excellent! Delicate, aromatic and delicious!
Vegan Apple Galette is so delicious that such a cake will be a godsend not only for vegans but also for any sweet tooth! Very easy to prepare and also easy to eat! No one will ever guess that it is without eggs, sour cream or butter.
A minimum set of products is required for its preparation, and the result will certainly delight you. The biscuit will turn out to be quite large, but do not be deceived about this – it is eaten just instantly.
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 40 mins
1 galette – serves about 6
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. fine-grain sea salt
- ½ tsp. granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp. Earth Balance vegan butter
- 4-6 tbsp. ice water
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 2-3 large apples (cut into thin slices)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Vegan whipped cream
- Vegan vanilla ice cream
- Sugared cranberries (for decoration)
Chill the bowl.
- Take a medium mixing bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. It will help keep the dough cold.
Get the oven ready.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375 °F.
Make the crust
Take a small bowl and fill it with cold water and ice. Set it aside.
Now remove the bowl from the refrigerator and add the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix to combine.
After that, add cubed butter and shortening in walnut-sized clumps. Mix the dough with your hands. Try to flatten the butter and shortening while mixing.
Make a well in the middle of the ingredients and add 3 tbsp. ice water. Knead the mixture until the flour is moistened. But don’t knead too much because it will result in a tough crust.
Continue adding 1 tbsp. at a time and knead the dough until it sticks together in a ball.
Roll and transfer the crust
- Place a baking sheet on the countertop and sprinkle some flour.
- Put the dough ball on the top and sprinkle more flour.
- Roll the dough into a 14-inch circle with the help of a rolling pin. You can add more flour to keep the dough from sticking. Trim the rough edges.
- Lift the dough and transfer it to the pre-lined baking sheet.
Add apples and fold the dough
- Leave 2-inch border around the edges and arrange apple slices on the dough.
- Fold the dough over the apples. Press to seal the edges.
Brush with syrup and add cinnamon-sugar
- Use a pastry brush to brush all the exposed crust with pure maple syrup.
- Now take a small bowl and mix sugar and cinnamon in it. Sprinkle it over the top of the Apple Galette.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake until the crust is golden around the edges and the apples are tender. The suggested time is between 25-35 minutes.
- Remove the Galette from the oven and let it cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- When cool, transfer to a serving plate with a thin but wide spatula or even a pastry scraper.
- Serve it with sugared cranberries, vegan whipping cream, or vegan vanilla ice cream.
How to store and reheat Vegan Apple Galette?
Vegan Apple Galette is best eaten when it is baked. But if you have leftovers, you can store them at room temperature for 2-3 days. Reheat it in a 375°F oven for about 8-10 minutes before serving.
Which Apples Should I Use?
The best apples for this Vegan Apple Galette will be fresh honey crisp apples that are juicy and hold together well after baking. You can also use the following varieties:
Let’s Sum Up
This vegan apple galette is a delicious, flakey, rustic pie filled with fall flavors. You definitely won’t be able to limit yourself to one piece. So, give it a try!
If you make this recipe? Share your experience in the comment box. We would love to hear from you.