This post may contain affiliate links
Vegan Coconut macaroons are a special treat that is very popular nowadays. This recipe comes from my mother’s side of the family, they are so simple to make and they taste amazing. I find that most recipes that I see use condensed milk, my recipe uses coconut milk, I use full-fat milk and it tastes amazing.
How to make Vegan Coconut Macaroons Guide
When I first baked them, I was a little nervous about whether macaroons would hold or not as my cousins always failed. I tried hard and configured the secret. I also shared the tips for your ease. Try them and let me know.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
Servings: 28 cookies
Full fat coconut milk – ¾ cup
Sweetened coconut flakes – 14 ounces
Almond Flour – ½ cup
Pure Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
Optional ingredient: Almond extract (½ tsp)
Salt – ¼ tsp
Whipped Aquafaba – 4 tbsp
Cream of tartar – ¼ tsp
Dairy-free chocolate chips – 8 ounces
- Prepare the oven for baking and preheat it. The temperature should be 325°F.
- Take a baking tray and line it with baking paper.
- Take a bowl and add in creamy white part scooped from the coconut milk can. Now add liquid (from the can) as required for ¾ cup. The cream is the main ingredient needed, but using liquid is not bad if you want to. If the cream is hard in texture, you can heat it in the oven for a few seconds and it will turn soft enough.
- Now add in sweetened coconut flakes, almond extracts, and flour, vanilla extracts, and salt. Mix all the ingredients using a spoon until they are all combined.
- Prepare Aquafaba, which is actually your alternative to egg white. Take a bowl and add in liquid from the chickpeas can. Now, add in ¼ tsp cream of tartar and beat it. You may use a hand mixer or electric beater. Beat it for three to six minutes until the stiff texture is obtained. Add 4 tbsp full of stiff Aquafaba to the coconut mixture. Mix it with light hands until well combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place mounds of prepared mixture on the baking tray. The space between them should be at least 1 inch.
- Use a middle rack for baking. The baking time is twenty-three to twenty-five minutes or until the upper surface and edges turn toasty. After they are baked, allow them to cool in the pan. Cooling time is ten minutes before you transfer them to the cooling rack.
- Chocolate Dip: It is optional. Take some chocolate chips and melt them. You may heat them and keep stirring to avoid a burning taste. Now dip the bottom sides of the macaroon in this melted chocolate. Use a fork for this. Don’t hurry, do it quietly. Place cookies on the oiled pan and put them in the refrigerator. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Store leftover cookies at room temperature in a covered container for up to 4-5 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or in the freezer for longer. They are delicious straight out of the freezer! Enjoy!
Per each of the cookies, there are 129 kcal of calories, 13 grams of carbs, 2 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat, 2 grams of fibre, and 1 mg of iron.
- You may use a blender to grind the coconut pieces. Don’t blend it completely, it will be messy.
- Individuals who don’t like almonds or are allergic to it can use regular flour or brown rice flour instead.
- You should use a baking sheet on the baking tray or your macaroons will stick to the surface.
- Large coarser shreds of coconut are not recipe friendly and hence use fine shreds.
- If you want a perfect representation of your macaroons, then use ice cream scoops.
- Mix and fold the mixture nicely in the scoops so it looks neat.
- Over-baking should be avoided to retain the soft chunks.
- Don’t try alternatives for sugar as it also plays a role in the binding of the macaroons.
If you like this recipe PIN this Image! Thank you!
What is the best way to store the macaroons?
First, allow the macaroons to cool down. Use an airtight container for up to 7 days at room temperature. Refrigeration is not required so your cake quickly makes it to parties. Well, if you used the optional way like dipping in the chocolate, then do store it in the fridge.
For freezing the macaroons, use a freezer bag and store them for around three months. You may enjoy them straight after they are taken out of the freezer. You may also defrost them at room temp for 1 hour.
To freeze, place in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag in a single layer and freeze for up to 3 months. Eat them straight from the freezer or leave them to defrost at room temperature for about an hour.
I have a gluten allergy. So can I make these cookies for myself?
Yes, you may bake these for yourself. Vegan macaroons are gluten-free and also oil-free. It won’t add extra calories and is a good substitute for bakery macaroons.
Can I use artificial sweeteners?
No, you are recommended to use any other alternative for sugar. As sugar is not only used as a sweetener but also to hold ingredients together.
Is there any alternative to coconut milk?
No, you have no better alternative to coconut milk. You will need full-fat canned coconut milk for this recipe. Otherwise, the macaroons will break.
Why do my macaroons break?
If you don’t use an ice cream scoop for placing macaroons on the baking paper, then you would lose the perfection. Macaroons may crumble in this case. Use blended coconut for a more proper holding.
See Also: Vegan Raffaello Coconut Balls
Vegan coconut macaroons are a perfect recipe to whip up when you are in the mood for something chocolatey. These vegan coconut macaroons are easy to make, have a delicate flavor, and are perfect with a cup of tea. Enjoy the taste dear readers!