This post may contain affiliate links
A simple homemade vegan bagels recipe made with just a few basic ingredients–the recipe is completely vegan and free of dairy and eggs.
Attempting to make bagels at home is a quite challenging task and it will be easier for you to just buy them from the store. Keeping this in mind, I was wondering how we can recreate store-bought bagels at home by following a simpler process and fewer steps. This is when I came up with this awesome recipe.
Easy to make Vegan Bagels
When someone hears “vegan bagels” they assume that they’ll be tricky to make–but, they are actually quite easy to prepare.
The final product will be a tasty and chewy texture with a tender exterior straight out of the oven.
You will need to gather only a few basic ingredients to prepare these simple vegan bagels and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the final result.
I personally made these several times over the past few weeks and I wonder why I haven’t given out this recipe before. Afterall, is there anyone who doesn’t like homemade bagels?
Fortunately, these bagels are a breeze to make and they are completely vegan. If you discard the common meat toppings e.g. prosciutto or salmon, these bagels are 100% plant-based.
- The buns are totally vegan and free of dairy and eggs
- The cream cheese used is also vegan
- The addition of avocado on top doubles up the taste
You can add any toppings based on your taste (vegan or not). For example, tomatoes make a great all-vegan topping while pescatarians can add boiled eggs or salmon if they wish.
You have my word that these bagels are incredibly easy to make or I wouldn’t be making then so often. In all other cases, I will just sit and wait for the dough to rise up for hours before baking.
The beauty of these vegan bagels is that they involve the use of just 7 ingredients, are fast, easy to make and most importantly, they copy the texture of authentic bagels in just 25 minutes. They are also great for any event or season and they are egg and dairy-free!
- 2 cups white flour
- ⅓ cup soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp dry yeast powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the flour, yeast, water and salt in a mixing bowl. Knead until you end up with a flexible dough. Allow to rest for approx. 2 hours or until the dough size becomes double.
- Preheat your oven at 370F/190C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the dough from the mixing bowl to your counter and form into a big ball. Cut and split into 4 equal size pieces and shape each into a smaller ball. Using your index finger and thumb, gently press to form a loop into the center of each ball and turn around until that hole gets bigger. Repeat the above steps with each ball. Let everything rest for 10 minutes.
- To prepare your water bath, fill a big pot with water and bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat and allow it to simmer. Submerge the bagels into the simmering liquid and let cook for 40 seconds, then flip over and cook for an extra 30 seconds. Note that the bagels’ volume will rise at this point so make sure there is plenty of space in your pot. Take off the water bath and transfer onto a baking tray or mat.
- Take a brush and brush them with a bit of soy milk. Sprinkle the poppy and sesame seeds on top.
- Transfer the bagels in a preheated oven and cook for 25 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Once done, take off the heat and place on a cooling grill to cool them down for a few minutes.
- Prepare some toppings of your choice to serve them e.g. tomato slices, salmon, avocado, etc.