If you want to have a go at creating your own vegan version of Greggs copycat sausage roll at home, this recipe is for you!
Quick to prepare, hearty, and most importantly, delicious Greggs Vegan Sausage Roll Recipe will appeal to you and your family. The best thing about these rolls is that they can be taken on the road, outdoors, for breakfast and lunch. Such an appetizer will not only satisfy your hunger but also perfectly complement a cup of tea or coffee.
Let’s start with simple ingredients that every homemaker may have at hand.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 12 oz or 340 g Vegan Sausages – (meat-free Richmond)
- 1 tbsp Plant-Based Milk
- 13 oz or 375 g Puff Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 390 °F and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Use a sharp knife to split the skin of Vegan Sausages, then peel it off and discard.
- Make a long neat sausage by using half of the sausages, which should be half-length the pastry. Repeat the same steps for the other half. After that, slice down each sausage lengthways and set these four sausages aside.
- Unroll the pastry sheet onto the countertop. You can use flour if the pastry sheet is sticky.
- Cut pastry into four equal rectangles and lay each of the sausage halves onto the puff pastry piece.
- Use a pastry brush and coat all the exposed pastry with Plant-Based Milk.
- Fold the pastry over the sausage. You can use your fingers to seal all sides.
- Brush the top of each roll with more plant milk.
- Now, transfer the sausage rolls to the lined tray and leave a little space to puff up.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until they are lovely and golden.
- Your Greggs Vegan Sausage Rolls are ready. Serve hot!
Some Useful Tips
- You can experiment with the filling by replacing meat-free Richmond with other vegan sausages. You can also make your own sausages at home.
- You can create any size or shape by using the same ingredients. Very long thin sausages can be made and then cut into bite-size pieces.
- You can add more ingredients under sausages, such as red onion chutney.
- If there is extra pastry, you can use a sharp knife and cut the extra edges to create a lattice pattern.
- Increase the number of ingredients if you want to make Greggs Vegan Sausage Roll for more than four people.
Can I use coconut milk?
Choose your preferred type of milk and brand. We used soya milk. Be aware that the type you use will affect the taste and outer layer of the finished sausage rolls. That’s why we highly recommend avoiding anything which is highly flavored or sweetened. So, coconut milk should especially be avoided.
How to make it allergy-friendly?
This Greggs vegan sausage roll recipe is free from dairy, egg, and nuts. But it’s not gluten-free. If you want a gluten-free version of this recipe, simply buy ready rolled vegan gluten-free pasty.
Can I make Greggs Vegan Sausage Rolls ahead?
These rolls are amazing to make ahead in a large batch to freeze. Place the Greggs Vegan Copycat Sausage Rolls in a tray and make sure that they aren’t touching each other. Once they are frozen, place them in a freezer bag or airtight container for proper storage.
Leftover Greggs Vegan Sausage Rolls
If you do have leftovers that you don’t think will get eaten within a few days, you can wrap them to store in the freezer. You can eat them when they are thawed but warm them up first.
You can use the following ways for reheating:
- In the oven: It will take longer, but your rolls will remain crispier.
- In Microwave: It will be quicker, but the roll will be soggier. We will not recommend using this option.
- In an Air fryer: Finally, air fryer is also the best option to reheat the roll without losing the crispy structure.
Some people also reheat them in a nonstick pan, but it will also not provide you desired results.
Can you cook these rolls straight from the freezer?
Yes! You can then cook Greggs Vegan Sausage Rolls straight from frozen. You will need to add some extra time to the actual cooking time defined in this recipe. But try to reheat your vegan rolls on medium heat and make sure that they cook right through to the middle without overly browning.
Moreover, you can also make and keep them in the refrigerator for 24 hours before being cooked.
What to serve with Greggs Vegan Sausage Rolls?
Vegan Sausage Rolls are perfect for a buffet feast, friends get together, picnic, or a daily snack. To keep your whole meal vegan, we suggest you serve Tofu Summer Rolls with Satay Sauce for dipping, Guacamole and tortilla chips, and an easy Couscous salad. Don’t forget to serve the flatbreads and Hummus with these delicious vegan rolls.
You can also serve some vegan desserts such as Best Ever Scones, Vegan Lamingtons Recipe, Vanilla Butterfly Cakes, Vegan Almond Croissant, or Chocolate Cornflake Cakes.
Moreover, these rolls contain high levels of salt and fat, which are not considered healthy. But in contrast, vegan rolls are slightly more nutritious than meat-based rolls. Here we will recommend you to make this recipe in an air fryer for creating a healthier version.
Are Greggs vegan sausage rolls halal?
Yes! These rolls are halal because they do not contain alcohol any animal products. Muslims can also make them without any hesitation.
What does a Greggs vegan sausage roll taste like?
The Vegan sausage rolls are delicious, and they taste very similar to the meat ones. But they are a little less greasy, and the texture is a little bit different.
So, make vegan sausage rolls, and you will not regret it. The result will delight you and your family!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, then you will also love our other vegan recipes.