This post may contain affiliate links
This Vegan Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich is a delicious combination of sweet caramelized onions and tasty soy chunks and tastier, in my opinion, than the original version of the recipe.
Although I realize this is not true for everyone, I still crave the familiar tastes of foods I loved before I became plant-based. Some flavors and textures are more difficult to recreate than others. It was not an easy task to make a vegan Philly cheesesteak.
It was well worth the effort. Soy chunks are a great way to get a juicy and meaty texture. It’s a delicious combination of vegan cheese sauce and caramelized onions.
Why this recipe is Awesome
- This vegan Philly cheesesteak sandwich is a perfect choice if you are looking for meaty flavors.
- This meal looks like fast food but is made entirely from whole foods.
- This recipe doesn’t require any unusual ingredients or special equipment. You don’t have to search for fake cheeses or meats. There are likely already some ingredients in your kitchen.
- This sandwich is quick to prepare and will be well worth the time.
- This recipe is great for guests coming over as it can be easily scaled up to serve more people. Your guests will talk about your vegan Philly cheesesteak for many days.
What is the best way to make this recipe?
Place your vegan butter or olive oil in a saucepan and heat at medium heat. Allow it to melt, then tilt the pan until the oil is evenly distributed. Next, add the onions to the pan and reduce the heat, stir and continue to cook for about 5-10 minutes, frequently stirring, until the onions become caramelized. Take your time.
Mix the ingredients in a cup or jar. Mix together the vegetable stock and garlic powder with the soy sauce, steak sauce, maple syrup, and balsamic vinegar.
Start preparing soy chunks. Soy chunks can be very easy to use and relatively cheap. We’ll just rehydrate the soy meat, marinate it in beefy sauce, and then cook them. It’s super easy!
Assemble your sandwich. Begin with the Soy chunks. Next, add caramelized onions. Finally, drizzle some “cheese sauce.” In an empty oven pan, bake your sandwich until you are satisfied. Enjoy the sauce with your sandwich!
Vegan Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
This vegan Philly cheesesteak recipe is easy to make and really delicious. You won’t make a mistake if you serve this to your fast food lovers’ friends.
It makes approximately 4 sandwiches
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 1/2 a large sweet onion (diced)
Soy Curl Steak
- 3 cups Soy Chunks
- 1 cup Beefless broth
- 1 – 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire (vegan)
- 1 Tbsp seasoning
- 2 Tbsp steak sauce (vegan)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Maple Syrup (plus 1 tsp later)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne, for your taste
Vegan Cheeze Sauce
- 8 oz vegan cheese shreds
- 4 oz soy milk
- 1 Tbsp tapioca Starch (optional for thickening).
- Grill the onions for 10 to 15 minutes in a medium-high heat pan with a little oil. While the onions are cooking, we’ll prepare the Soy Chunks. However, make sure to stir them occasionally and ensure they don’t get burned.
- While the onions are being grilled, cover the soy chunks with water for approximately 10 minutes.
- Once the soy chunks have hydrated, make the marinade by adding all the remaining vegan soy curl ingredients to a bowl. Whisk well. Make sure your onions don’t get burned!
- Your soy chunks should be strained. Use your naked hands to squeeze out any excess water. They should be as dry and clean as possible. I do this most often in a colander with another bowl underneath. You could also do it over the sink.
- Grill the soy chunks on top of the onions for a few more minutes.
- Mix in the marinade. Reduce down to the desired consistency. This should take approximately 10 minutes. Season the soy chunks with a tablespoon of maple syrup for color and flavor.
- Add the plant-based milk to a saucepan over medium heat, and add your vegan cheese and tapioca starch, if desired. Mix until smooth.
- You can dress your roll with whatever condiments you like (if there are any), then stack it high with the soy chunks of steak. Finally, drizzle some cheese sauce on top and enjoy!
You can substitute soy chunks with mushrooms for vegan beef crumbles. Also, you can use beyond meat or impossible meat. For vegan beef crumbles, you can add equal amounts of mushrooms.
This recipe is not good for storage, so don’t refrigerate it. The vegan Philly cheesesteak filling can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Once you are ready to assemble this sandwich, reheat your buns and toast them!
Pin & Share this Recipe